|years:|| 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941
|decades:||1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1950s|
|centuries:||19th century - 20th century - 21st century|
- Emma Russell, the mother of Benny Russell, died.
- 30 October - Orson Welles and The Mercury Theatre on the Air presented a radio adaptation of The War of the Worlds, a late 19th century science fiction novel by H.G. Wells which depicted a Martian invasion of Earth. The broadcast caused a mass panic in the United States of America as many believed that it was in fact a news report about a real Martian invasion. James Wainwright, who was then 21, did not hear the broadcast but read about it in the newspapers the next day. On 23 September 1947, Professor Jeffrey Carlson told him that there was a theory that the broadcast was used as a cover story for the discovery of an actual alien spaceship. However, Wainwright dismissed this theory, branding it "crazy."
References and NotesEdit
- ↑ DS9 novelization: Far Beyond the Stars
- ↑ DS9 short story: "Captain Proton and the Orb of Bajor"
- ↑ TOS novel: From History's Shadow
| Strange New Worlds IV|
Captain Proton and the Orb of Bajor
|Deep Space Nine||28 October 1938||short story|