|Series:||The Original Series (IDW ongoing, No. 23|
|Miniseries:||After Darkness, No. 3|
|Colorist(s):||Stellar Labs (colors)|
|Creative Consultant:||Roberto Orci (story consultant)|
|Date:||2260 (alternate reality)|
"After Darkness, Part 3" was the twenty-third issue of IDW Publishing's ongoing series of Star Trek comics, published in July 2013. Colors and lettering were done by Stellar Labs. This comic was edited by Scott Dunbier, with Roberto Orci credited as the story consultant.
Montgomery Scott can hardly believe what he is seeing on New Vulcan. Spock and the others 24 Vulcans who have gone insane are fighting with the Starfleet crew. Phasers are set on maximum stun. Spock shoves Uhura while she tries to reason with him, but Kirk shoots at him. Phasers are at maximum stun, but it is not working. They are forced to return to the ship without Spock.
On the Enterprise, Kirk is communicating with T'Pring, who has given up hope that the Sasaud can be saved from themselves. Kirk, however, is determined to find a solution to the problem. Kirk beams them all aboard the Enterprise and into the prison bay. Chekov and Carol study them and come up with an idea. As planets have their own signatures, the Heisenberg compensator compensates for the difference. Chekov has found that they could manipulate the transporter field so that it can think they are orbiting Vulcan even though that is obviously impossible. Kirk, Scott, and McCoy agree.
In the prison bay, Uhura talks with Spock, remembering how he fell in love with her, just before the crew do their experiment. With the transporter thinking they are on Vulcan, Spock and the other Sasaud are beamed back. They are cured. Spock is then brought back to the ship.
On the bridge T'Pring talks with Kirk and Spock from New Vulcan, telling them that all the Sasaud have been cured and the Vulcans have decided that the age-old customs that cause pon farr are now a liability and some things should change. Spock tells T'Pring that his place is aboard the Enterprise and she understands. The two of them part amicably. Having heard the whole thing Uhura smiles knowingly.
Near Khitomer, Section 31 is waiting to rendezvous with the Romulans, and they have Khan Noonien Singh and his Augments with them.
- Spock • Nyota Uhura • Leonard McCoy • James T. Kirk • Carol Marcus • T'Pring • Sarek • older Spock • Pavel Chekov • Hikaru Sulu • Sasaud
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Referenced only
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Ranks and titlesEdit
- Senator • lieutenant • captain • doctor • first officer • chief medical officer • officer • commander
Science and technologyEdit
- The only title information given is on the cover, with the phrase After Darkness. The Part 3 is taken from solicitation information.
- TOS comic: "Vulcan's Vengeance" - The Romulans appear in this comic book.
- TOS comic: "Countdown to Darkness" - Section 31 is still trying to destroy the Klingon Empire.
- TOS movie: Star Trek Into Darkness - As the title suggests, this story is set after the movie.
- TOS comic: "After Darkness, Part 2" - This issue is a continuation of the previous issue.
- TOS movie: Star Trek - Vulcan's destruction is mentioned in passing.
- TOS comic: "The Truth About Tribbles, Part 2" - Admiral Archer's prized beagle is mentioned in passing.
- TOS comic: "IDW Star Trek, Issue 19" - see above.
After Darkness, Part 2
|The Original Series (IDW series)||next comic:|
IDW Star Trek, Issue 24
- After Darkness, Part 3 article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.
- IDW's Star Trek After Darkness Trilogy Ends Wednesday at StarTrek.com, the official Star Trek website