- See also Death Before Dishonor, a comic, and later title of a comic collection containing that comic which was also written by Peter David.
|Series:||The Next Generation|
|Published:||Paperback - November 2007|
Cover of the German translation
An enemy so intractable that it cannot be reasoned with. The entire race thinks with one mind and strives toward one purpose: to add our biological distinctiveness to their own and wipe out individuality, to make every living thing Borg.
In over two centuries, the Federation has never encountered a greater threat. Twice Starfleet assembled and threw countless starships to stand against them. The Borg were stopped, the price paid in blood. Humanity breathed a sigh of relief, assuming it was safe. And with the destruction of the transwarp conduits, the Federation believed that the killing blow had finally been struck against the Borg.
Driven to the point of extinction, the Borg continue to fight for their very existence, for their culture. They will not be denied. They must not be stopped. The old rules and assumptions regarding how the Collective should act have been dismissed. Now the Borg kill first, assimilate later.
When the Enterprise manages to thwart them once again, the Borg turn inward. The dark places that even the drones never realized existed are turned outward against the enemy they have never been able to defeat. What is revealed is the thing that no one believed the Borg could do.
- Boyajian • Brennan • Beverly Crusher • Miranda Kadohata • Geordi La Forge • Zelik Leybenzon • Meyer • Jean-Luc Picard • Jon Stephens • T'Lana • Worf • 9 of 18 • Baxter • Borg Queen • Andy Brevoort • Mackenzie Calhoun • Delcara • Lucius Fox • Galloway (Fleet Commander) • Kathryn Janeway • Edward Jellico • Lady Q • Lindell • Matsuda • Alynna Nechayev • Perrin • Howard Rappaport • Tina Rogers • Tom Schmidt • Seven of Nine • Spock • Traber • Two • Antin Vargo • Mark Wacker • Yarrow
- Referenced only
- Reannon Bonaventure • Data • Matt Decker • Guinan • Hugh • James T. Kirk • Leonard McCoy • Christopher Pike • Q • q • William T. Riker • Sarek • Montgomery Scott • Soco • Deanna Troi
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Borg cube • Chawla • Einstein • USS Enterprise-E • USS Excalibur-A • USS Freedom • USS Nautilus • "Pride" • USS Thunderchild • Spinrad • USS Titan • USS Voyager • USS Constellation (NCC-1017) • Planet Killer
- Pluto • Q Continuum • Earth • San Francisco • Titan • Saturn • Sector 10 • Vulcan • P'Jem • Rigel V • Star System L374 • The Yard • Epsilon Sigma V • Sector 108 • Bunker • Neptune • Charon • Nix • Hydra Elysium • Dorvan V • Sector 001 • Jupiter • Xenex
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
- United Federation of Planets • Starfleet • Borg Collective • Sarek School of Diplomacy and Ambassadorial Studies • Starfleet Academy • Corps of Engineers • Starfleet Museum • Federation Council
- Bendii Syndrome • Castrodinium • Cloaking device • Code 9 • gagh • ghuy'Cha • God • Grozit • Thomas Jefferson • Judas goat • Kolinahr • Neutronium • Project Endgame • Romulan ale • Rubik's Cube • Second Battle of Sector 001 • Security Protocol 276 • Sisyphus • Slaughter of Sector 108 • Xeno's paradox
- The working title for this novel was "Excessum Rector" which can be translated to "The Queen is Dead".
- An excerpt from this novel was published in issue 134 of the Star Trek Magazine, and in the back of the novels Resistance and Q & A.
- Events in this book built upon two previous novels – Vendetta and Resistance.
- The German Translation of this book was titled Heldentod ("Death of a Hero")
|Star Trek: The Next Generation novels set after Star Trek Nemesis|
|Death in Winter • Resistance • Q & A • Before Dishonor • Greater Than the Sum • Destiny (Gods of Night • Mere Mortals • Lost Souls) • Losing the Peace • Paths of Disharmony • The Struggle Within • The Persistence of Memory • Silent Weapons • The Body Electric • The Stuff of Dreams • The Crimson Shadow|
Q & A
|TNG novels||Next novel:|
Greater Than the Sum
Articles of the Federation
Chapters 13-17 (May 2380)
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
Prologue & Chapter 19 (section 1-6)
|The above chronology placements are based on the primary placement in 2380.|
The Memory Beta Chronology places events from this story in 1 other timeframe(s):
Prologue & Chapter 19 (section 1-6)
Chapter 19 (section 7)