- For other uses, see Betelgeuse.
Betelgeuse (also known as Alpha Orionis) is a star (spectral class M2Ib) located about 130 parsecs (430 light years) from Earth, where it is visible in the constellation of Orion. The Betelgeuse star system was the original home of the Betelgeusian species of Betelgeuse II. (TOS movie: Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture production info mentioned Betelgeuse's name and inhabitants, but since it is a "real" star system, modern scientists know a few things about its makeup that were not in Star Trek.
By the mid 23rd century, the Betelgeusians became aware that their sun would soon enter an expansion phase, rendering Betelgeuse II uninhabitable, and the species began an exodus from their homeworld. (TOS novel: Ex Machina)
Betelgeuse XIII was home to a major Orion population centre, known in the 23rd century for a cheerfully decadent lifestyle and thriving criminal activity. (Last Unicorn RPG module: Star Trek: The Original Series Core Game Book)
- Betelgeuse article at Memory Alpha, the wiki for canon Star Trek.
- Betelgeuse article at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Betelgeuse at the Internet Stellar Database.
|Stars, systems and objects of the Orion constellation|
|74 Orionis • Alpha Orionis (Betelgeuse) • Beta Orionis (Rigel) • Chi-1 Orionis (Coridan) • Delta Orionis (Mintaka) • Gamma Orionis (Bellatrix) • Pi-3 Orionis (Orion system) • Sigma-1014 Orionis • Zeta Orionis (Alnitak)|