Characteristics and historyEdit
In 2156, the Enterprise provided cobalt, magnesium, and tungsten to the Tellarite freighter pilots Skalaar and Gaavrin so that they could rebuild their warp coils. (ENT - The Romulan War novel: To Brave the Storm)
When brought into contact with power rods cobalt created a reaction that would generate an explosion after fifteen minutes. In 2266 when the USS Enterprise was held hostage by a race of Robots, Captain James T. Kirk used this knowledge and placed one the Enterprise's power rods (which the Robots had demanded) in a cobalt container. Fifteen minutes later when the rod had been placed in the Robots' power unit it exploded, destroying the unit and in turn disabling the Robots. (TOS comic: "UK comic strips, first story arc")
- ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual
- TOS comic: "UK comic strips, first story arc"
- DS9 novel: Devil in the Sky
- ENT - The Romulan War novel: To Brave the Storm
- ST - New Worlds, New Civilizations short story: "225 Years of Service"
- DS9 episodes: "The Maquis", "For the Uniform"
- VOY episode: "Caretaker"
- ENT episodes: "The Xindi", "Borderland"
- [] short story: "Exodus"
- ST novel: Excelsior: Forged in Fire
- ST - Destiny novel: Gods of Night