Messina's Star Trek comics have so far been written by two sets of authors: Messina has worked on several series and one-shots written by Scott and David Tipton, starting with the five part TOS miniseries Klingons: Blood Will Tell in 2007. Following this series he and Tipton's produced the first issue of the Alien Spotlight series, and later the miniseries Intelligence Gathering, Mirror Images and Spock: Reflections. In 2009 Messina began working on tie-in comics for the new movie Star Trek, starting with Countdown, written by Mike Johnson and Tim Jones, then the aforementioned Spock: Reflections by the Tiptons, Nero and the Star Trek Movie Adaptation, both by Johnson and Jones.
Messina has also produced covers for most of his comics, the one exception being the Mirror Images series for which he only provided a cover for the first issue.
Prior to becoming a comic book artist Messina worked in animation, on storyboarding and character design. Messina's other credits in IDW comics include extensive work on comics based on the series Angel.
- Klingons: Blood Will Tell
- Alien Spotlight: Gorn
- Intelligence Gathering
- Mirror Images
- Spock: Reflections (layout credit, with finishes by Federica Manfredi)
- Star Trek Movie Adaptation (pencils)
- "Star Trek Movie Adaptation, Number One"
- "Star Trek Movie Adaptation, Number Two"
- "Star Trek Movie Adaptation, Number Three"
- "Star Trek Movie Adaptation, Number Four" (with Claudia Balboni)
- "Star Trek Movie Adaptation, Number Five" (with Claudia Balboni)
- "Star Trek Movie Adaptation, Number Six" (with Claudia Balboni)