- For the TV series, see Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. For this station's predecessor, see Deep Space 9.
|Deep Space 9|
|Facility type:||starbase space station|
Deep Space 9 was a Federation starbase under construction in 2383. The construction of this station began shortly after the destruction of its Cardassian predecessor. Under the advisement of Federation President Nanietta Bacco and the Bajoran First Minister, it was decided that this one would be the second station to bear the name Deep Space 9. (Typhon Pact novel: Raise the Dawn)
Specifications and layoutEdit
Deep Space 9 was the first of the Federation's new Frontier-class, and the largest deep space station in operation in 2385. At normal capacity, it supported a population of 13,000 and was capable of taking on the passengers and crew of dozens of ships that made dock.
Unlike it's predecessor, which was designed as an Ore Refinery and converted into a starbase, the new station was designed to be a premiere starbase will full repair and construction facilities, as well as state of the art science labs. It was designed in mind with the new station being the premiere operations hub for all deep space assignments in the Bajoran sector, despite the collapse of the wormhole.
It was made up of three intersecting rings, perpendicular to each other, with a central spherical core. The Horizontal Ring is known as "X" ring, with the two vertical oriented rings known as "Y" and "Z". The rings housed docking facilities, repair bays and cargo bays, as well as sensor arrays, shield generators and weapons ports. The operations center, informally known as the Hub, was located at the upper intersection of the two vertical rings.
- Hub: The Hub serves as the Operations center of the station and is located at the intersection Y and Z rings. It features multiple levels including a centralized briefing table, a dedicated workstation for the Security chief, and multiple other stations. The Captain's office is directly attached.
- Memorial Deck: This deck is positioned just above the Nanietta Bacco Park, with visibility of most of the station. This deck has plaques dedicated to all those who died during the Destruction of Deep Space Nine as well as a plinth describing the original station and it's origins. A piece of bulkhead from the first station is also on display here.
- Nanietta Bacco Park: The 'Park is a large, natural area featuring a cultivated woodland, swimming pools, a theatre, and other recreational areas. The park also serves as a component of the station's life support system.
- Plaza: The Plaza is the social and shopping center for the station and serves as the Promenade for the new station. Amongst other establishments located here are Quark's Bar, the theatre, and the Replimat.
- Hospital: Also known as Sector General, the Hospital is the medical center of Deep Space 9 and is directly beneath the Plaza.
- Stockade complex: The stockade complex is the detention facility on Deep Space 9 and was overseen by Commander Jefferson Blackmer.
The skeleton of the station was laid out by the Starfleet Corps of Engineers in 2383 under the supervision of Miles O'Brien, who would be staying on as the chief engineer for the duration of the project, as well as once it was completed. It remained in the same location as the former station, despite the collapse of the Bajoran wormhole. Nog noted that although he hoped they did not have to move it to the original position orbiting Bajor, he was sure that she could take it if the need arose. Deep Space 9 became partially habitable and operational in September 2384. (Typhon Pact novel: Raise the Dawn)
DS9 was due to be fully operational and officially opened August 27th 2385 but the ceremony, held in the theatre, was cut short due to the assassination of President Nanietta Bacco. (ST - The Fall novel: Revelation and Dust)
Following the arrest of Julian Bashir, Beverly Crusher requested temporary reassignment as the new chief medical officer until Bashir was reinstated or a replacement was selected. (ST - The Fall novel: Peaceable Kingdoms)
- Commanding officer:
- First officer:
- Chief science officer:
- Security chief:
- Security officer:
- Chief engineer:
- Assistant chief engineer:
- Chief medical officer:
- Tactical officers: