Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Galaxy Class Starship Development Project was the Federation Starfleet project responsible for the design and construction of the Galaxy-class starship. The Galaxy Class Project was officially approved in July of the year 2343, and was based at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards on Mars. (TNG reference: Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual)
In accordance with Starfleet Exploration Directive 902.3, four objectives for the project were established:
- Provide a mobile platform for a wide range of ongoing scientific and cultural research projects.
- Replace aging Ambassador-class and Oberth-class starships as primary instruments of Starfleet's exploration programs.
- Provide autonomous capability for full execution of Federation policy options in outlying areas.
- Incorporate recent advancements in warp powerplant technology and improved science instrumentation.
The Advanced Starship Design Bureau was given a recommendation by the Starfleet Spacecraft Design Advisory Commission that, to provide for the four objectives, certain specific design goals should be met or exceeded in the following categories:
- Design life
- 2243, the Galaxy Class Starship Development Project was officially approved.
- 6 July, the original warp propulsion system specifications for the Galaxy Class Project were transmitted to Utopia Planitia.
- 2344, 24 December, revised propulsion, systems and structural specifications for the Galaxy Class Project were sent to Utopia Planitia designers.
- 2350, 3 June, the first two spaceframe components of the USS Enterprise-D were gamma-welded together.
- 2355, construction of the USS Yamato is well under way.
- 2356, 16 April, the first complete computer model of the Enterprise was tested at Utopia Planitia.
- 2357, the USS Galaxy was officially commissioned; declared deep-spaceworthy and warp-capable; moves to outer solar system.
- 2358, the Enterprise-D was launched from orbital dock on maneuvering thrusters.
- 2363, the USS Yamato was offically commissioned.
- 4 October, the USS Enterprise-D was offically commissioned.
Among the many personnel working on the Galaxy Class Project were Doctor Leah Brahms of the Theoretical Propulsion Group, and Commander Orfil Quinteros who supervised the construction of the third Galaxy-class starship, the USS Enterprise-D. (ST reference: Star Trek Encyclopedia)