Starfleet General Order 7 was a directive that forbade contact with the planet Talos IV. It was made part of Starfleet policy following the visit of the USS Enterprise to Talos IV in 2254. The rationale for the order was top secret and could only be revealed to subordinate officers upon a certified direct order issued by a flag officer (see full text below).
By 2320, the Federation was considering doing away with this last death penalty. When confronted with the fact that Ambassador Spock was traveling there, Captain Hikaru Sulu tried to reason with Spock to wait a few months until the order had been lifted. (TOS novel: Burning Dreams)
By 2380, the death penalty for visiting Talos IV, as well as the classified nature of the Talosian species, had been lifted by Starfleet. Whether or not General Order 7 is otherwise still in effect, thus still restricting traffic to Talos, is unknown. (TNG novel: Q & A)
- Known facts: Detailed information cross referenced with 3XY phagrin level - mass computer.
- The only Earthship to visit the planet Talos IV was the U.S.S. Enterprise commanded by Captain Christopher Pike with Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock.
- Recommendations: Be it hereby noted that said following instructions be incorporated in STARFLEET policy:
- The following officers have visited Talos IV and recommend that no human should ever visit it again - -
- Captain Christopher Pike
- Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock