Captain Kirk recalls the aftermath of his destruction of his father's car. His uncle gave him a time-out. Jim was still getting over the fact that his brother, George Samuel Kirk, Jr., had left and moved in with their grandfather. He never saw his brother again. It is now 2258. Captain Kirk is investigating a pattern of mass insanity destroying civilizations. It started in the Beta Portalon system 2000 years prior. Next was Levinius V 200 years prior, in the 21st century. This was followed by Theta Cygni XII, in the 2230s. Deneva is next. The Enterprise spots a ship heading for the Denevan sun, Kappa Fornacis. The pilot declares himself free just before being vaporized. The Enterprise crew realizes that the insanity has reached Deneva.
Later, Captain Kirk, Spock, Doctor McCoy, Yeoman Zahra and Crewman Edwards beam to the capital city. They are attacked by men who shout the word "intruders" more than once as if they have a hive mind. Even though unconscious, their brains are being violently stimulated. Just then, the landing party hears screaming. They go down into a building's subfloor, where a woman grabs McCoy, claiming that she wants to die. They tranquilize her. Just then, they spot a large group of blastoneurons. One attacks Spock. More Denevans arrive acting like one mind. They are rescued at the last minute by someone Captain Kirk had least expected to see: his own brother.
- James T. Kirk • Winona Kirk • Uncle Frank • law enforcement officer • Nyota Uhura • Leonard McCoy • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Pavel Chekov • Edwards • unnamed USS Enterprise (alternate reality NCC-1701) personnel • unnamed Deneva colonists • George Samuel Kirk, Jr. • Zahra
- Referenced only
- James Kirk's grandfather
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • Denevan spaceship • Enterprise • Apollo 11 lander
Planets and planetoidsEdit
Stars and systemsEdit
- Referenced only
- Beta Portalon
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Technology and weaponsEdit
Ranks and titlesEdit
- Federation Starfleet ranks • Federation Starfleet ranks (alternate 2250s) • galaxy • government • humanoid • lifeform • nation-state • planet • races and cultures • rank • star • star system • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (alternate reality) • technology • time • title • uniform • universe
- This story takes place nine years earlier than its prime timeline equivalent (TOS episode: "Operation -- Annihilate!", set in 2267).
- In the scene with Kirk and his mother taking place in the young Kirk's bedroom, a hologram of the Enterprise (NX-01) from Star Trek: Enterprise can be seen.
- Among the significant differences between this story and its prime timeline equivalent are the following:
- In the original episode, George Samuel Kirk, Jr. was dead when the USS Enterprise arrived at Deneva. His wife, Aurelan, died shortly thereafter.
- The original episode did not start with a flashback.
- It is not clarified which grandfather George moved in with: James Davis or Tiberius Kirk.
- TOS episode: "Operation -- Annihilate!": This comic book is an adaptation of the eponymous episode.
- TOS movie: Star Trek: The flashback is set just after the scene in the film in which Kirk destroys his father's car.
The Galileo Seven, Part 2
|The Original Series (IDW series)||next comic:|
Operation: Annihilate!, Part 2