Memory Beta, non-canon Star Trek Wiki


48,366pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Add New Page Talk0

Ing was the first planet in the Sattenik star system, located in Federation space only one light-year outside the Orion Neutrality Area, in the Alpha or the Beta Quadrant. It had no moons and was a class E planet. It was the site of an Orion Colony.

In the mid-23rd century, following the establishment of the Orion Neutrality Area, a planet-wide election decided 80% in favor of joining the Federation. Ing became a Federation member, and the remaining 20% took to the wilderness in rebellion. They numbered several hundred communities of Orion rebels scattered and hidden across the surface. In sporadic campaigns, they infiltrated Federation installations, sabotaged, planted bombs, started fires, and committed acts of terrorism on the rest of the planet's inhabitants.

Starfleet Marines spent over five years attempting to flush out the rebels, launch counter-offensives, and destroy their bases of operation, but with limited success. Starfleet believed that the rebels were supplied from nearby Orion space, or by independent traders purchasing the cheap radioactive elements available on Ing. Halting the trade in illegal arms was a major concern for Starfleet as the weapons also reached the neighboring (and socially unstable) planet of Morales. Ing was also in danger of receiving more weapons and radicalized politics from the already collapsed Zchol.

Officially, the Botchok Planetary Congress disapproved of the rebels and denied responsibility for them, but off the record was in support of their cause. Truth be told, the Federation would also rather have had Ing as an independent world. However, the majority of its inhabitants were content to remain as members of the UFP.

Ing was heavily industrialized and consequently very valuable to both powers. It had a technological/sociopolitical index of 999783-74 and a planetary trade profile of ECEFABC/C(D).

Ing had a desert climate, a terrestrial atmosphere and a 26-hour day. It had a total surface area of 764,537,960 square kilometers and, with 71% land mass, a total land area of 542,821,950 square kilometers. About 27% of its makeup was normal metals, 10% was radioactive elements, and 10% was gemstones, with trace amounts of special minerals and industrial crystals. (FASA RPG module: The Orions: Book of Common Knowledge)

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki