"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" was the 70th episode of Star Trek: The Original Series, the 15th episode of the show's third and final season, first aired on 10 January 1969. The episode was written by Lee Cronin and Oliver Crawford, directed by Jud Taylor and novelized in Star Trek 5 by James Blish.
On a mission to decontaminate the planet Ariannus the Enterprise retrieves a stolen spacecraft with one person aboard—Lokai—who is white on the right side of his body and black on his left side. An invisible spacecraft comes straight toward the Enterprise and leaves its pilot aboard before being destroyed. The pilot is Bele who is black on the right side of his body and white on his left side. Bele is a police commissioner from the planet Cheron V who has been chasing Lokai for 50,000 years across the galaxy. Although slavery was abolished on Cheron the ruling class is Bele's color and the ruled class is Lokai's color. Lokai tries to enlist the Enterprise crew in his crusade and Bele claims to be superior color to Lokai to James T. Kirk and Spock. When the Federation refuses to honor Bele's request for custody of Lokai, Bele with the power of his will tries to hijack the Enterprise to Cheron in a standoff with Kirk who for his part activates the self destruct—which is only averted when Bele agrees to turn over control of the starship to Kirk.
When Ariannis is decontaminated, Bele hijacks the Enterprise again—after destroying the self destruct with his will. On arrival at Cheron, the ships sensors show that the entire humanoid population has wiped out one another. Lokai transports himself down to Cheron followed by Bele.
- Captain's log, stardate 5730.2.
- The planet Ariannus is vital as a transfer point on regular space commercial lanes. It has been attacked by a bacterial invasion which threatens to render it lifeless unless checked. Our mission, to decontaminate it.
- Captain's log, stardate 5730.7.
- Having completed our mission to Ariannus, the Enterprise is now on course to Starbase 4. The crew is on normal routine and we are proceeding without incident.
- Captain's log 5730.6.
- In a deliberate act of sabotage, Commissioner Bele has burned out our destruct mechanism and, through the power of his will, has again taken over directional control of the Enterprise.
- Bele • Clifford Brent • Christine Chapel • Pavel Chekov • Hadley • James T. Kirk • Roger Lemli • Lokai • Leonard McCoy • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura • Vinci • unnamed USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) personnel (USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) personnel)
- Referenced only
- Gregor Johann Mendel
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • Cheron scout vessel • da Vinci (class F shuttlecraft)
- Cheron city
Races and culturesEdit
- Referenced only
Technology and weaponsEdit
Materials and substancesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
- Commission on Political Traitors • Ministry of Health • Starfleet • Starfleet Command • United Federation of Planets
Ranks and titlesEdit
- bureaucrat • captain • chief engineer • chief medical officer • commander • commanding officer • communications officer • commissioner • diplomat • doctor • engineer • Federation Starfleet ranks • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • first officer • lieutenant • lieutenant commander • helmsman • medical practitioner • navigator • officer • scientist • science officer • second officer • weapons officer • tactical officer• pilot • police
- commerce • warp 10 • self destruct • 20th century • ape • bacteria • blood • Civil Rights Movement • command frequency 2 • commissioner • death warrant • destruct sequence • directional control • due process • evolution • extinction • extradition • genocide • history • hull breach • intergalactic treaty • lava • logic • master computer • master race • memory bank • nucleotide • oxygen • political asylum • racism • recuperative powers • red alert • sabotage • scope • self destruct • shields • skin • slavery • spray tank • tractor beam • vocal cords • volcano • anatomy • arm • beaming • boot • captain's log • captain's log, USS Enterprise, 2268 • city • clothing • coordinates • diplomacy • disease • Federation members • finger • five-year mission • germ • government • homeworld • hour • humanoid • jumpsuit • language • lifeform • log entry • logic • matter • memory • microbe • microorganism • nation-state • orbit • pants • planet • poker • population • quadrant • races and cultures • rank • regulation • ship's log • ship's log, USS Enterprise • space • star • star system • stardate • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2260s) • technology • title • tunic • uniform • universe • weapon
- years prior to 2268
- Lokai organizes revolutions among the enslaved on Cheron. (prior to episode/novelization)
- stardate 5430.2, 2268 (2260s chronology, 2264–2270 Enterprise voyages)
- Enterprise travels to Ariannus.
- ST reference: Star Charts
- TNG comic: "Here Today"
- A person who identifies themselves as Bele, but has Lokai's coloration, is trapped with the away team.
- Ships of the Line 2010
- Shuttlecraft da Vinci
That Which Survives
|TOS episode produced||Next episode:|
Whom Gods Destroy
Whom Gods Destroy
|TOS episode aired||Next episode:|
The Mark of Gideon
The Tholian Web
|Star Trek 5||Next story:|
This Side of Paradise
A Sucker Born
Whom Gods Destroy
Mudd in Your Eye
|Voyages of the |
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
(2264 to 2270)
Crisis on Centaurus