Missions are a series of tasks that players of Star Trek Online must accomplish in order to receive a reward.
There are seven general types of missions in Star Trek Online:
- Diplomatic: Missions that provide diplomacy experience for the player.
- Episode: Missions that introduce you to the overall story. The community calls these storyline missions, but Cryptic Studios refers to them as episode missions.
- Explore: Missions in a cluster of unexplored space outside of sector blocks.
- Fleet: Group play type missions. Fleet missions for high ranked players are called Special Task Force missions.
- Foundry: Missions that are created by the Star Trek Online community.
- Patrol: Missions where you patrol four systems in one sector block.
- Tour of Duty: Missions that teach the player how to play the game. Also includes missions to defend a named sector block and missions for rank promotions.