|Temporal Displacement:||2278 to 2368 (temporal causality loop)|
|Previous Assignment:||CO, USS Bozeman|
|Assignment:||CO, USS Atlas|
He never knew his father and was raised by his mother. Known as “Bulldog Bateson.” Picard said Bateson “believes in himself more than the structure of Starfleet.” After temporal displacement, he adopted Starbase 12 as his hometown. (TNG novel: Ship of the Line)
|This article or section is incomplete|
|This article is marked as lacking essential detail, and needs attention. Information regarding expansion requirements may be found on the article's talk page. Feel free to edit this page to assist with this expansion.|
In 2368, as he and his crew were debriefed by Department of Temporal Investigations special agents Gariff Lucsly and Marion Dulmur, Bateson set a positive example by saying that the 24th century was their time.
By 2381, Captain Bateson was in command of the Sovereign-class USS Atlas. During the Borg Invasion of 2381, the Atlas was assigned to lead a fleet of vessels against a Borg force of ten cubes threatening Vulcan. Recalling the efforts at the Battle of Sector 001, Bateson experienced anxiety, despite their apparent advantages. Although the Starfleet forces outnumbered the enemy four to one, the Borg's adaptation to the transphasic torpedo left the fleet vulnerable. He attempted to warn off a last-ditch attempt by the fleet's reserve wing to no avail. With so few ships operational after the engagement, it was with great anger that he was forced to send a subspace communication warning the Vulcans of their impending doom.
When the Borg's march was temporarily halted, Bateson rallied the remaining four ships to take out as many cubes as possible. Feeling energized over their momentary advantage, Bateson merely rolled his eyes when orders from Starfleet Command confirmed an all-out immediate engagement. Bateson led the fleet in utterly obliterating the remaining Borg forces at Vulcan, securing the planet, and sending a sarcastic message to Command thanking them for the permission to engage. (ST - Destiny novel: Lost Souls)
Bateson had decided to name Lieutenant Commander Hikaru Sulu as his first officer on the USS Bozeman in 2278, just prior to the ship's disappearance. However just before Sulu was due to report on board the Bozeman, he met his daughter Demora Sulu and was given custody of her. Due to this unforseen change of events Sulu decided not to leave Earth. While irritated that Sulu was not going to be his first officer, Bateson knew that Sulu was in a difficult situation and didn't want to make it any harder on him. He did ask Sulu to make sure his daughter remembered the name Morgan Bateson, as it was she who deprived Bateson of a good first officer.(TOS novel: The Captain's Daughter)
Bateson and Scotty "go way back".
- Particulars of how and when Scott and the much younger Bateson met and became friends are not given. This is likely intended as a humorous reference to the fact that both of them have been transported from the past.
Bateson and Terrell knew each other, and made a friendly wager about their ships' performance reviews shortly before the Bozeman disappeared.
- 2230s-2240s: Birth and childhood
- 2250s: Teen years and Academy
- circa 2260: Graduates Starfleet Academy
- 2278: The Bozeman is caught in a temporal causality loop.
- 2368: Freed from the loop by the USS Enterprise-D.
- 2371: Supervised the construction of the Sovereign-class starship USS Honorius, which was later redesignated as USS Enterprise-E following the destruction of the USS Enterprise-D at Veridian III.
- Early 2372: Given temporary command of the Enterprise-E during its shakedown.
- Mid 2372: Commanding officer USS Bozeman-A.
- 2381: Commanding officer USS Atlas.
|USS Bozeman personnel|
|USS Bozeman (NCC-1941)||Claudia Alisov • Morgan Bateson • Lloyd Boen • Gabriel Bush • Cohen • J. Mia Colt • Crane • Wizz Dayton • Mike Dennis • Dorthan • Ham Hamilton • Eduardo Perry • Heather Petersen • Joaquin Perez • Shelithan ch'Riin • Siemaszko • Mitch Trumbull • Andy Welch • Parvana Whitcomb • John Wolfe • Zane|
|USS Bozeman II (NCC-1941-A)||Morgan Bateson • Gabriel Bush • Crane • Wizz Dayton • Mike Dennis • Ham Hamilton • Eduardo Perry • Mitch Trumbull • Andy Welch|
|USS Atlas personnel|
|Boaden Ackles • Morgan Bateson • Sophie Fawkes • Karithal • Kedam • Kitto • Or-Tal • Reese • Tzasiz|
- "Cause and Effect" (TNG episode)
- "Future Shock" (Strange New Worlds VII)
- "Ancient History" (Strange New Worlds VI)
- The Captain's Daughter (TOS novel)
- Ship of the Line (TNG novel)
- Spectre (novel)
- "Out of Time" (TNG comic DC Special #2)
- "A Dish Served Cold" (Strange New Worlds 10)
- Lost Souls (Destiny novel)