|discussing this policy.|
- This page refers to the 2010 game, for the series the game is a part of see Star Trek Online. For the unreleased version of the game developed by Perpetual Entertainment, see unpublished games.
|Star Trek Online|
|Series:||Star Trek Online|
|Published:||2 February, 2010|
Star Trek Online is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) video game released for PC developed by Cryptic Studios. The game is set in 2409, nearly thirty years after the film Star Trek Nemesis.
The game is set in 2409, three decades after Star Trek Nemesis. Players will become either a Federation Starfleet or Klingon commander, in command of their own starship which they can use to explore the galaxy. Game play will take two forms, that of ship based maneuvers in space, and as part of away teams to starships, planets and facilities.
Initially, Perpetual Entertainment developed the game from 2004 until its bankruptcy in January 2008. The license to develop the game and art assets were transferred to Cryptic Studios; however, the code remained with Perpetual Entertainment and its Perpetual Game Engine.
Cryptic Studios officially announced the development of Star Trek Online on July 28, 2008, as a countdown timer on Cryptic's web site reached zero and the new official site was launched.A letter was sent out from Jack Emmert, the game's online producer, detailing some aspects of Cryptic's approach.
Cryptic originally announced a Windows version of STO. During the Las Vegas conference in August 2008, Cryptic announced that there would be neither Linux nor Mac versions for the original launch, though they did not rule out the possibility of later port releases. Console versions were announced several months before the release, with no specific console platform specified, but Cryptic has since announced that all console versions of their games are on indefinite hold due to difficulties "on the business side of things,"
Star Trek Online was released in North America on February 2, 2010, in Europe on February 5, 2010, and in Australia on February 11, 2010. Customers who ordered the game in advance were able to gain access to the game on January 29, 2010 (before the official release date), via a bonus 'head-start' which was included with pre-order packages.
Las Vegas Star Trek Convention 2008Edit
On August 10, 2008, the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention was held at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas. Leonard Nimoy and Cryptic Studios Chief Creative Officer Jack Emmert together revealed the first gameplay trailer, featuring various Federation and Klingon starships in combat with each other and Borg vessels, as well as footage of a Klingon squad boarding a Federation ship's bridge. The release date was not publicly revealed except that it would be less than three years.
Star Trek Online's closed beta test officially began when it was announced on October 22, 2009. Cryptic Studios offered guaranteed beta access to users who bought 6-month and lifetime subscriptions to Champions Online. However, the offer did not explicitly state how early in the beta process the access would be granted. Some pre-order packages included access to the 'open beta' running from January 12–26, 2010.
Setting & StoryEdit
- See also: Star Trek Online (series)
Due to the Hobus supernova and the destruction of Romulus, the quadrant has become destabilized. The Klingon Empire took advantage of the Romulans' weakness, attempting an invasion. The Federation protested this aggression, leading to weakened relations and finally a breakdown of the Khitomer Accords.
A war finally began with the Klingons, whose empire has now expanded to include the Gorn Hegemony, as well as many other states. Meanwhile, there are other forces causing chaos behind the scenes. Species 8472 has returned, and is quietly manipulating the various races of the alpha quadrant. The Borg have begun a new series of incursions as well.
- The references in this section reflect references from the common areas of the game such as introductions and travel between missions. References from specific missions will be listed at the missions' own pages.
- Leonard James Akaar • B'vat • Mackenzie Calhoun • Donatra • D'Tan • Griffs • Hakeev • Jher Gwenn • Icheb • J'mpok • Ja'rod, son of Torg • Jorel Quinn • Kar'Ebbah • Karatek • James Kurland • Lepa • Lessa • Orlando Mai • Markin • Thomas Marrone • Marta • Leonard McCoy • Mur'quin • Obisek • Kirayoshi O'Brien • Miral Paris • Quex • Rek • Montgomery Scott • Sela • Seven of Seven • Amar Singh • Sokketh • Spock • Akira Sulu • Thelin • T'nae • James Tolliver • Naomi Wildman • Yeserin • Yoc'm • Zel
- Referenced only
- B'Etor, daughter of Ja'rod • Duras, son of Ja'rod • James T. Kirk • Lursa • N'Verix • Worf, son of Mogh
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- NX-91001 (NX-91001-class) • USS Archer • USS Khitomer • USS Kirk • USS McCoy • USS da Vinci • USS Enterprise • USS Enterprise (Odyssey-class) • USS Planck (Hermes-class) • DujHod Chariot • Charal-class • Khyzon-class • Sarr Theln-class • Plesh Brek-class • Keldon-class • Galor-class • Hideki-class • Atrox-class • Mogai-class • USS Aurora (Aurora-class science vessel prototype) • Jem'Hadar heavy escort • Jem'Hadar heavy escort carrier • Jem'Hadar Dreadnought carrier
Races and culturesEdit
- Andorian • Augment • Bajoran • Benzite • Betazoid • Bolian • Borg • Cardassian • Ferengi • Hirogen • Human • Hylasa • Jem'Hadar • Klingon • Lethean • Liberated • Nausicaan • Orion • Reman • Romulan • Tribble • Trill • Undine • Vulcan
States and organizationsEdit
- Battle Group Omega • Borg Collective • Klingon Empire • Romulan Star Empire • Starfleet • Starfleet Intelligence • Tal Shiar • True Way • United Federation of Planets
- assimilation • Dabo • decalithium • drone • kuvah'magh • rank • title • technology • weapon • races and cultures • lifeform • humanoid • planet • space • star • star system • outpost • uniform • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2386-2400s) • Federation Starfleet ranks • Federation Starfleet ranks (2386-2400s) • Topaline • Vulcan Love Slave VI
Technology and weaponsEdit
- communicator • Emergency Medical Hologram • nanovirus • Personal shield • phaser • space station • starship • Transwarp • Transwarp conduit
As part of the build-up to the game Cryptic Studios's Star Trek Online website has two sections detailing in-universe information as background to the game. The Path to 2409 provides year by year chronological updates running from 2379 up to the start of the game in 2409. Ships of the Line gives history and specifications on starships featured in the game. A third section, Factions was put up after the game launched; this section provides intelligence information on the various organizations and groups involved in the game's events.
It would appear that Star Trek Online is set in an alternate reality from the current on going book series. In this reality, the Borg were never launched a full scale invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, instead harboring and rebuilding their forces after the lose of their transwarp gates. In thus, the Typhon Pact was never created.