- For other uses, see Preserver.
For three full decades, on television and in film, actor William Shatner has portrayed one of the legendary heroes of science fiction: James Tiberius Kirk, captain of the Starship Enterprise. Although Kirk was believed to have perished at the conclusion of Star Trek Generations, his amazing literary resurrection led to an acclaimed trilogy of national bestsellers, The Ashes of Eden, The Return, and Avenger.
Now William Shatner again brings his unique blend of talents as actor, writer, director, and producer to the conclusion of the new trilogy begun with Spectre and continuing with Dark Victory, as two men -- and two universes -- never meant to meet are drawn closer together toward an inevitable and destructive reaction....
The deadly and tyrannical Emperor Tiberius, formerly captain of the I.S.S. Enterprise, had great success turning captured alien weaponry to his advantage, but his failed attempt to seize the tantalizing advances of the ancient First Federation has always rankled him. In the more peaceful universe of the United Federation of Planets, Tiberius sees his second chance. And a new ally will help him take it -- the counterpart for whom he has nothing but contempt, the man whose U.S.S. Enterprise made first contact with the First Federation: Starfleet Captain James T. Kirk.
Honorable, idealistic, and decent, James T. Kirk is many things Tiberius is not. But he is also a man deeply in love with his wife -- and Teilani is dying. To save her life, Kirk will compromise his ideals and enter into his most dangerous alliance yet.
Pursued by Captain Jean-Luc Picard and a new generation of Starfleet heroes, Kirk will guide Tiberius to a long-abandoned First Federation base. There, he expects to find a source of power so great it will enable Tiberius to conquer the mirror universe -- and his own.
But on their journey Kirk will uncover long-hidden secrets about the past that raise the stakes far beyond the mere survival of Kirk's family and friends to nothing less than the continued existence of the universe.
At the heart of their quest, something else is waiting: an object from a civilization whose technology is far more advanced than any Kirk or Tiberius could expect to acquire, placed there for Kirk's eyes only by the mysterious aliens who appear to have influenced life within the galaxy over eons of time -- a message from the Preservers....
- Beverly Crusher • Data • James T. Kirk • James T. Kirk (mirror) • Geordi La Forge • Lept • Christine MacDonald • Andrea M'Benga • Leonard McCoy • Jean-Luc Picard • William T. Riker • Montgomery Scott • Zefram Sloane • Spock • Spock (mirror) • Teilani • Deanna Troi • T'Serl
- Referenced only
- Elim Garak
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Badlands • Bajoran wormhole • Deep Space 9 • Goldin Discontinuity • Halka • Starbase 25-Alpha
- Fort Lincoln • Gundersdotter's Dome
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
- Dominion • First Federation • Klingon-Cardassian Alliance • Klingon Confederacy • Vulcan Academy of Science • Vulcan Diplomatic Corps • Vulcan Resistance
- Ferengi Alliance
- Ferengi Commerce Authority
- Klingon Empire
- Klingon High Council
- Terran Empire
- Imperial Fleet
- United Federation of Planets
- Federation Council • Federation Department of Temporal Investigations • First Contact Office • Project Magnet • Project Sign • Seldon Institute • Starfleet • Starfleet Command • Starfleet Intelligence • Starfleet Operations • Technical Intelligence Division • Technology Committee on Strategic Planning
- Age of Heroes • dilithium • Dominion War • Fundamental Declarations of the Martian Colonies • Great Auction of '05 • Kansas Inquisition • Martian Revolution • Preserver obelisk • Suraktic Method • Time of Awakening • Uniform Code of Starfleet Justice
German translation ISBN 3453196554
|Star Trek novels by William Shatner|
|Odyssey:||The Ashes of Eden||The Return||Avenger|
|Mirror Universe:||Spectre||Dark Victory||Preserver|
|Totality:||Captain's Peril||Captain's Blood||Captain's Glory|
|The Academy:||Collision Course|
|TOS novels||Next novel:|
The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume 1
|Voyages of the|
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-E)
|The above chronology placements are based on the primary placement in 2375.|
The Pocket Books Timeline places events from this story in six other timeframes:
A Song Well Sung
Someone to Watch Over Me
The Dogs of War
Chapter 38, Epilogue
Almost... But Not Quite
All Good Things...
The Ashes of Eden
The Fall of Terok Nor