Characteristics and historyEdit
Silicon has an atomic mass of 28.086. This element was discovered by Humans for the first time in Earth's European continent in the year 1823, in Sweden. (ST reference: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual)
Silicon-based lifeforms were considered a fantasy by the Federation until first contact with the silicon-based Horta of Janus VI in 2267 (TOS episode & Star Trek 4 novelization: The Devil in the Dark)
In 2370, when Julian Bashir was attempting to locate a Horta in the mines of Davonia his tricorder had trouble singling it out as the mines had been drilled with high-powered phasers causing the walls to turn into glass, making the silicon lifeform difficult to detect amongst all the other silicon in the area. (DS9 novel: Devil in the Sky)
- bioactive silicon
- disilicon polymer
- polysilicate verterium
- silicon-based liquid
- silicon-based parasite
- silicon nodule
- TNG episodes: "Home Soil", "Deja Q", "Time's Arrow"
- TOS episode & Star Trek 4 novelization: The Devil in the Dark
- ST references: Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual, Spaceflight Chronology, Star Charts, The Worlds of the Federation, The Definitive Star Trek Trivia Book
- TOS novels: The Enterprise Mutiny, The Pandora Principle
- DS9 novel: Devil in the Sky
- ENT episodes: "Observer Effect", "The Disease"
- TOS episodes: "The Alternative Factor", "The Savage Curtain"
- TOS - Rihannsu novel: My Enemy, My Ally
- ST - Destiny novel: Mere Mortals
- TAS - Star Trek Log Eight novella: The Eye of the Beholder
- CoE eBook: Ghost
- Decipher RPG module: Worlds
- DS9 - Requiem comic: