|Spock Must Die!|
Cover by Kazuhiko Sano
|Series:||The Original Series|
|Published:||paperback - January 1970|
|Reprint(s):||March 1985 & June 1999|
An exciting new story of interplanetary adventure.
- 1970 cover
- Captain Kirk and the crew of the starship Enterprise find themselves in the middle of an undeclared war waged by the Klingon Empire…
- The Organians should be consulted about the war but their entire planet has disappeared—or been destroyed…
- Mr. Spock entered the transporter chamber. His image would be flashed to Organia by the huge machine's faster-than-light tachyons. But the experiment failed. Suddenly there were two Mr. Spocks. One of them had to be destroyed…
- But which one?
- Launching an unprovoked attack upon the Federation, the Klingons have broken the terms of the Organian Peace Treaty—leaving the Enterprise stranded deep in uncharted space, cut off from the rest of the Federation fleet.
- To find out what happened to the Organians, Commander Scott rigged an experimental modification to our transportation system designed to enable a tachyon replica of Mr. Spock to travel faster-than-light to Organia. But the experiment failed, and incredibly, left us with two identical Spocks: one of whom is a replica in every way opposite of our first officer, a traitor whose continued existence poses a grave threat to the Enterprise and quite possibly the entire Federation.
- One of the Spocks must die. But which one?
|This article or section is incomplete|
|This article is marked as lacking essential detail, and needs attention. Information regarding expansion requirements may be found on the article's talk page. Feel free to edit this page to assist with this expansion.|
- Ayelborne • Christine Chapel • Pavel Chekov • Claymare • James T. Kirk • Koloth • Kor • Korax • Leonard McCoy • Janice Rand • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Spock One • Hikaru Sulu • Trefayne • Nyota Uhura
- Referenced only
- David • God • Goliath • Sherlock Holmes • James Joyce • Alfred Korzybski • Joanna McCoy • John Milton • Isaac Newton • Pablo Picasso • Shylock • William of Occam
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- clipper ship • corvette • USS Enterprise (Constitution-class class I heavy cruiser) • IKS Destruction • galleon • kayak • Star-class battleship
Planets, planetoids, and moonsEdit
Races and culturesEdit
- Human (Anglo-American • Bantu • English • Greek • Oriental • Spanish • Swahili) • Klingon • Melkotian • Organian • Romulan • Vulcan
States and organizationsEdit
- Command Academy • Grand Senate of the Klingon Empire • Klingon Empire • Klingon High Command • Organian Council of Elders • Scientific Advisory Board • Space Service • Starfleet • Starfleet Academy • United Federation of Planets
- Achilles heel • Ancient West • anorexia nervosa • astronomical unit • bench-mark • bench-marking • berserker • brass • bullet • cancer • chess • chi-quare • chronon • Command Academy ring • credit • crutch • Dalton recension • deflector screen • Dirac jump • Easter • eglon • electric chair • ethon gas • Eurish • finis opus coronat • Finnegans Wake • fluoroscopy • Fundamentals of Naval Engagement • ghost • haggle • hand microphone • Hilbert space • homing missile • hydrogen • Interdict • iron • jewler's loupe • Klingon War • Latin • Law of Parsimony • mathom • McCoy's Paradox • The Merchant of Venice • mind-lock • missile • nano-jiffy • new suns space • Occam's Razor • phaser • photon torpedo • quark • robe • sabot • Senator in Chief • sling • soul • squirt • stellor • superman • tachyon • Thirty Years' War • transporter • tricorder • turboelevator • underwear • uniform • Vegan rickettsial fever • X-ray
Animals and plantsEdit
- beademungen • beetle • baobab • cat • chicken • escallopolyp • glow pups • gnat • gormenghastly • laburnum seed • lichen • ore • ox • rabbit • reepicheep • seaweed • skopolamander • tnucipen • tribble • uniped • wog • Xixobrax jewelworm
Food and drinkEdit
- Stardate 3199.4
- The Klingon Empire and the United Federation of Planets have peace imposed upon them by the Organians. (Referenced in conversation)
- Enterprise's benchmarking survey. (In-story)
- Stardate 4011.8
- The Enterprise crew consider their options. James T. Kirk takes some comfort in knowing that seventeen starbases are present to fight the Klingon invasion. They head towards Organia. (In-story)
- Stardate 4018.4
- Spock is transported to Organia, but is reflected back, creating a second Spock. (In-story)
- Stardate 4020.8
- The Klingons are doing so well in the war that they have time to conquer the Great Nebula Area of Orion. (In-story)
- Stardate 4150.0
- Spock One locks himself in the Medical Lab. He refuses to come out until the other Spock is dead. (In-story)
- Stardate 4196.2
- The Enterprise receives a response from Starfleet Command which they choose to ignore. (In-story)
- Stardate 4198.0
- The Enterprise decides to transport an away team down to the surface of Organia to end the war. (In-story)
- Stardate 4200.9
- The landing party is delayed by the Spock fighting Spock One on the surface of Organia. (In-story)
- Stardate 4201.6
- The landing party reach the Organians and begin to formulate a plan. The Enterprise withdraws toward Federation space, but is surrounded by Klingon ships. (In-story)
- Stardate 4205.5
- The Enterprise continues on her mission. (In-story)
- Spock Must Die! is the first original Star Trek novel in a series. The only previous publication to this was the Star Trek 1 novelizations and the stand-alone young-adult novel Mission to Horatius.
- TOS episode: "Errand of Mercy"
- TOS episode: "Amok Time"
- TOS episode: "The Last Gunfight"
- TOS episode: "Balance of Terror"
- TOS episode: "The Trouble with Tribbles"
First Star Trek Book by Publication
|TOS unnumbered novels||Next novel:|
Star Trek: The New Voyages
Book of Fulfillment
- 1970, January: Original Bantam Books edition with photomontage cover depicting Spock, mirrored.
- 1980s: Bantam Books reprints. Cover featuring Captain Kirk confronted by two Spocks. This cover was done in couple different layout styles.
- 1999: Bantam Books Del Rey reprint. Cover by Kazuhiko Sano featuring Klingon battlecruisers.