|Star Trek Nemesis|
|Series:||The Next Generation|
|Published:||Hardcover - December 2002|
|Story by:||John Logan, Rick Berman & Brent Spiner|
|Screenplay by:||John Logan|
|Directed by:||Stuart Baird|
|Release date:||13 December 2002|
Earth - home to Starfleet, where the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E gathers under the crystal blue skies of an Alaskan day to celebrate the wedding of Will Riker and Deanna Troi. The joy of the day is overshadowed only by the knowledge that this is the last time they will all be together, as soon-to-be Captain Riker and his ship's counselor, Deanna Troi, will shortly be departing for their new ship.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew are suddenly diverted for an unexpected diplomatic mission to the planet Romulus. Longtime enemies of the Federation, the Romulans have expressed their desire to initiate negotiations that will hopefully lead to a long-awaited unity in the galaxy. But upon their arrival on Romulus, the Enterprise crew is faced with a threat that could lead to the destruction of the planet Earth, and Picard comes face to face with a man who may prove to be his most dangerous adversary yet... and a surprisingly personal nemesis.
The Romulan Star Empire is currently in a normal day. Praetor Hiren of the Imperial Romulan Senate is holding a meeting. The controversial Shinzon, allied with Senator Tal'Aura and Commander Donatra, planted a thalaron radiation device in the Romulan Senate chamber, via Tal'Aura, as a gift. Soon, Hiren and the Senate were dead and a large power vacuum had just begun to form...
William T. Riker and Deanna Troi are at their wedding ceremony in Valdez, Alaska. Things are going well, but feelings of sadness engross them all as Riker and Troi prepare to leave for the Luna-class starship USS Titan, and Beverly Crusher prepares to go to Starfleet Medical. As these mixed feelings continue, plans for the Federation's demise are held deep within the heart of the Romulan Star Empire...
En route to the wedding ceremony on Betazed, the crew encounter a positronic signature emanating from the planet Kolarus III. They stop off to find the android B-4, who quickly becomes Data's main interest. Meanwhile, Vice Admiral Kathryn Janeway informs CaptainJean-Luc Picard that the USS Enterprise-E is due for peace talks on Romulus with the new praetor, Shinzon. So, the Enterprise makes a course correction and heads towards Romulus, as the plans for the Federation's demise are set into motion...
Shinzon turns out to be a clone of Picard, but still claims himself as Shinzon of Remus. He seems to want peace on the outside, but to cure an incurable disease, Shinzon needs Picard's blood. So, Shinzon and his viceroy, Vkruk, abduct Picard. Data goes undercover (as B-4), rescues Picard and together they make it back to Enterprise. Once aboard, the Enterprise leaves Romulan space. Meanwhile, Deanna Troi is still recovering from Shinzon's telepathic rape, and Shinzon cloaks the Scimitar, departing for the Federation, en route behind Enterprise...
Soon, Picard learns of a battle fleet that the Enterprise is to join, but are attacked prematurely. With the help of new ally, Commander Donatra, and the telepathic pathway between Deanna Troi and Vkruk, the Scimitar is severely damaged at the Baasen Rift. However, Shinzon still has weapons and shields; while the Enterprise was a sitting duck and Riker and Worf are out battle an away team sent to retrieve Picard. Meanwhile the Scimitar fires at the Enterprise's bridge blowing the viewscreen apart, causing air to rush out of the bridge. Having no where to grip, Branson is sucked out to space screaming, while the Ops officer struggles to maintain her grip on her station. Data hangs onto Picards chair, and Deanna is nearly pulled out of her chair, but she manages to grip her console in time. Eventually the force shields come up, then Picard orders Troi to ram the Scimitar. This prevents Shinzon from using his cloak or disruptors. Shinzon then orders the thalaron radiation device to destroy the Enterprise and her crew, but Picard rushes to stop that, while Data has other plans...
While Picard and Shinzon engage in an eerie "brother-to-brother" battle, Data, with Geordi LaForge's help, traverses the vacuum of space, saves Picard and sacrifices himself for the good of the Federation and Enterprise. When Riker comes back from his bloody battle in which Vkruk died, he learns of Data's death. When the Enterprise returns, she begins her massive refit. The new crew, which consists of LaForge, Worf and several others, gathers together, while Riker and Troi leave for the Titan. A new age dawns in Federation history as the new Praetor- Tal'Aura-informs the Federation that the Romulans are seriously interested in talking, and Riker is sent, aboard the Titan, to deal with this new, Romulan peace deal.
- Beverly Crusher • Data • Geordi La Forge • Jean-Luc Picard • William T. Riker • Deanna Troi • Worf, son of Mogh • B-4 • Bezor • Branson (Lieutenant) • Wesley Crusher • Donatra • Guinan • Hiren • Kathryn Janeway • Shinzon • Suran • Tal'Aura • Talik • Venora • Vkruk
- Referenced only
- Irving Berlin • Zefram Cochrane • Charles Darwin • Svala • Tran • Lwaxana Troi • T'Shara
- Alaska • Bassen Rift • Earth • Kolarin system • Kolarus III • Opal Sea • Remus • Romulus • Sector 1045
- Referenced only
- Betazed • Celes II • Celesian system • Khitomer • Opal Sea • Romulan Neutral Zone • Xanara system
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Argo (Starfleet shuttlecraft) • Argo • USS Enterprise (Sovereign-class) • Kolaran armored car • Kolaran buggy • Scimitar (Scimitar-class) • Scorpion-class • IRW Valdore (Mogai-class)
- Referenced only
- USS Archer • USS Aries • HMS Beagle • USS Hemingway • USS Hood • USS Galaxy • USS Intrepid • USS Nova • USS Titan • USS Valiant • USS Voyager
Races and culturesEdit
- Bolian • Betazoid • Human • Klingon • Kolaran (portrayed) • Reman • Romulan
- Referenced only
- Bajoran • Borg • Cardassian • Son'a • Vulcan • Xanaran
States and organizationsEdit
- Chateau Picard • Romulan Senate • Romulan Star Empire • Starfleet • United Federation of Planets
- Referenced only
- Star Fleet Battle Group Omega
- 2267 • Celesian campaign • Centurion • Dominion War • Commander • Ressikan flute • Shalaft's Syndrome • Thalaron generator • Thalaron radiation
- A Time to... (TNG miniseries) - The A Time to... series chronicles the events on the Enterprise in the year leading up to Nemesis.
- Twilight's Wrath (Tales of the Dominion War short story) - Twilight's Wrath depicts Shinzon’s career as a soldier and his rise to power in the Dominion War.
There are a number of stories set after Nemesis many of which follow up the events of the film:
- Death in Winter (TNG novel) - Death in Winter features the first glimpse of the Enterprise and her crew and the state of the Romulan Empire after Nemesis. It also depicts the collection of genetic material from Jean-Luc Picard that led to Shinzon's creation.
- Articles of the Federation (novel) - Articles of the Federation depicts the political environment following the events of Nemesis.
- Star Trek: Titan - Titan is a new series showing the USS Titan under Command of Will T. Riker, as stated in Nemesis the Titan's first mission, as depicted in the novel Taking Wing, is to assist in the political fallout on Romulus.
- Legacy - Legacy introduces a story spanning 221 years within the Star Trek universe, including the aftermath of Nemesis.
- Captain's Blood (TOS novel) and Captain's Glory (TOS novel) - Both novels take place after Nemesis and Data's death.