|Alternate name(s):||Tarsis IV|
|Location:||Tarsus star system, coordinates 3.89N 3.11E, the galaxy's Alpha or Beta Quadrants|
|Population:||2.23 billion (2280s)|
Tarsus IV, or Tarsis IV, was the fourth planet in orbit of the Tarsus star system, at coordinates 3.89N 3.11E, located somewhere in the space of the galaxy's Alpha or Beta Quadrants. It was a class M planet.
In the 23rd century, Tarsus IV had become home to a Federation agricultural colony. The colony was founded by Earth-Romulan War veterans seeking a more peaceful life in the late 22nd century. The world became part of the United Federation of Planets after it's government, a technocracy, was formed. (FASA RPG module: The Federation, ST reference: Federation: The First 150 Years)
By the 2240s decade, Tarsus IV was home to 8,000 inhabitants. In the year 2246, a mutagenic virus struck the crop plants being grown on the planet's surface and a famine ensued. Only having food supplies for half the colony's inhabitants, Governor Kodos had the other half put to death, in what became known as the Tarsus IV Massacre. (TOS episode & Star Trek 1 novelization: The Conscience of the King; TOS - Enterprise Logs short story: "Though Hell Should Bar the Way"; TOS novel: Academy: Collision Course)
By reference stardate 2/2306.01, the world had a population of 2.23 billion individuals of various races and cultures, and the government was a full-status colonial member of the Federation. (FASA RPG module: The Federation)
In the alternate reality formed by the Narada's temporal incursion, the colony was attacked in 2246. This information was utilized in the fictional biography of "John Harrison", where he survived but his parents had not. (Star Trek App)
|planets visited by the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) (2243-2264)|
|Robert April's command (2243-2251)||Earth • Romulan planetoid • Tarsus IV • Faramond|
|Christopher Pike's command (2251-2264)||Earth • GS391 • Areta • Magefferus III • Pharos siteworld • Rigel VII • Talos IV • Darien 224 • Prairie • Neyda Prime • Liria • Jubal • Theta Kalyb • Algol II • Temazi • Corinthia VII • Eridios|
According to a computer image (seen here) created for the ENT episode: "In a Mirror, Darkly", Hoshi Sato and Takashi Kimura married lived on Tarsus IV, where they had a family, until they were executed in the Tarsus IV Massacre. However, an alternative image not mentioning Hoshi Sato's death was used instead (seen here), rendering these events as apocryphal.
Appearances and referencesEdit
- TOS episode: "The Conscience of the King"
- TOS novel: Trek to Madworld
- TOS novel: Pawns and Symbols
- TOS novel: Best Destiny
- TOS novel: Probe
- TOS novel: Recovery
- TOS novel: The Ashes of Eden
- TOS novel: Republic
- TOS novel: The Case of the Colonist's Corpse
- TOS novel: To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh
- TOS novel: Provenance of Shadows
- TOS novel: The Fire and the Rose
- TOS novel: Academy: Collision Course
- TOS novel: Demands of Honor
- TOS novel: The Star to Every Wandering
- TOS novel: The Rings of Time
- TOS novel: Allegiance in Exile
- TOS novel: The Folded World
- TOS novel: Foul Deeds Will Rise
- TOS novel: Crisis of Consciousness
- TOS comic: "Day of the Inquisitors" (likely an error)
- TOS short story: "Though Hell Should Bar the Way"
- TOS short story: "First Star I See Tonight"
- TOS novella: The First Artifact
- TOS eBook: The Centre Cannot Hold
- VAN short story: "The Ruins of Noble Men"
- TNG novel: The Romulan Stratagem
- ENT novel: To Brave the Storm
- ST novel: Avenger
- ST novel: Spectre
- ST novel: Preserver