|Series:||Voyager, No. 2|
|Author(s):||Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch|
|Published:||paperback - May 1995|
|foreign language edition|
The first original novel based on the hit series!
- Pocket Books is proud to present the first original novel starring the crew of the starship Voyager. Stranded far across the galaxy, theirs is a voyage of a lifetime that will take them far into uncharted space… where no one has gone before.
- The USS Voyager is in desperate trouble, her systems damaged, her warp engines failing. Without immediate repairs the starship and her crew will be trapped forever between the stars. Captain Kathryn Janeway must guide her ship to an ancient, deserted planet that could hold the key to their survival—a planet that is hiding more than one deadly secret…
As the USS Voyager continues its voyage home, the crew are forced to stop near a large asteroid belt in order to obtain armalcolite ore that will help repair the ship's Oltion circuits in the warp processor. Captain Janeway orders Lieutenants Tuvok and Torres to take a shuttlecraft into the belt to find the highest concentration of the ore.
As the shuttlecraft nears the largest asteroid the shuttle begins to buck wildly as a greater level of subspace turbulence hits the shuttle, which prevents them from locating the ore. Despite Janeway's suggestion that the team return to Voyager, Torres is determined to get the ore. However, the team is forced to return when the turbulence becomes too strong and cripples the shuttle's shields.
Following the team's return, Janeway calls a briefing of all the senior staff to discuss the increasingly desperate state of Voyager's systems. Aware of the problems, Neelix suggests that the crew visit the planet Alcawell. Alcawell is well known in the region for being a huge spaceship graveyard and he is sure that any parts Voyager may need could surely be salvaged from Alcawell. Despite concerns from several members of the staff, Janeway decides that it is worth the risk and orders a course set for Alcawell, despite stories from Neelix of the graveyard's being haunted.
|This article or section is incomplete|
|This article is marked as lacking essential detail, and needs attention. Information regarding expansion requirements may be found on the article's talk page. Feel free to edit this page to assist with this expansion.|
- Kathryn Janeway • Chakotay • Tuvok • Tom Paris • B'Elanna Torres • Harry Kim • The Doctor • Neelix • Kes • Drickel • Hoffman
- Referenced only
- Joseph Carey
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Alcawell • Alpha Quadrant • Badlands • Federation Headquarters • Los Angeles • Luna Station • San Francisco • Vulcan • Delta Quadrant
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
- Alcawellian Period • armalcolite • asteroid • Control Ordinance • Mean Time Control • Oltion circuit • Planet-Hopper • ready room • Real Time • Reno • Rollingburg's Retreat • Second Expansion Period • shuttlecraft • subspace • Time Breach • tractor beam • transport booth • warp processor • Watchman
|Voyager numbered novels||Next novel:|
The Big Game
Dean Wesley Smith
Kristine Kathryn Rusch
The Long Night
|The Voyages of the|
|The above chronology placements are based on the primary placement in 2371.|
The Pocket Books Timeline places events from this story in two other timeframes:
Chapters 12, 17, 19 & 23
Chapters 4, 5-7 &23
Horn and Ivory