- Continuing the milestone 50th anniversary celebration of Star Trek—a brand-new novel of The Original Series featuring James T. Kirk, Spock, and the crew of the USS Enterprise!
- Investigating a series of violent raids by a mysterious predatory species, Captain James T. Kirk discovers that these events share a startling connection with the First Federation, a friendly but secretive civilization contacted early in the USS Enterprise’s five-year mission. Traveling to the First Federation in search of answers, the Enterprise suddenly comes under attack from these strange marauders. Seeking refuge, the starship finds its way to the true home of the First Federation, an astonishing collection of worlds hidden from the galaxy beyond. The inhabitants of this isolated realm are wary of outsiders, and some accuse Kirk and his crew for bringing the wrath of their ancient enemy down upon them. When an attempt to stave off disaster goes tragically wrong, Kirk is held fully accountable, and Commander Spock learns there are even deeper forces that threaten this civilization. If Kirk and Spock cannot convince the First Federation's leaders to overcome their fears, the resulting catastrophe could doom them all!
- Aranow • David Bailey • Balok • Pavel Chekov • Choda • Dral • Frank Gabler • Damayanti Gopal • Grun • Jana Haines • Thuu'chi Hirr'uth • Chiir'hit Keer'iuv • James T. Kirk • Koust • Linar • Leonard McCoy • Nisu Miratuli • Mure • Anne Nored • Elizabeth Palmer • Louis Prescott • Manjula Rahda • Remv • Rhuld • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Tirak • Kasan Tor • Nyota Uhura • Vraq
Starships and vehiclesEdit
Races and culturesEdit
- Betelgeusian • Bogosrin • Dassik • Fiilestii • Human • Kisaja • Linnik • Niatoko • Tessegri • Vulcan
States and organizationsEdit
Science and technologyEdit
Ranks and titlesEdit
The Hall of Heroes
|Star Trek novels||Next novel:|
|The Original Series novels||Next story:|
Christopher L. Bennett
Shield of the Gods
- TOS episode: "The Corbomite Maneuver" – The First Federation, Commander Balok, David Bailey, and the Fesarius introduced in this episode.
- TOS episode: "A Private Little War" – Tyree of Neural is referenced as being a developmental influence upon Captain Kirk, early in his career.
- TOS episode: "That Which Survives" – The Kalandan interstellar transporter device (and its capability to instantly displace the Enterprise some 990.7 light-years distant) is referenced.
- TAS episode: "Beyond the Farthest Star" – The bridge intruder-control system and second turbolift alcove are conceived during this novel's events by Kirk and Scotty, and both are later installed by technicians at Starbase 8 in the epilogue, prior to the Enterprise setting out again.
- TAS episode: "The Survivor" – Anne Nored and Frank Gabler both appear in this episode.
- TAS episode: "The Practical Joker" – The proto-holodeck seen aboard the Enterprise in this episode originates here, the technology gifted to the crew by Balok at the story's conclusion, and turned over to Starfleet engineers at Starbase 8.
- TOS - Constellations short story: "As Others See Us" – Set not long prior to this novel; reference is made to the crew's encounter with the Redheri androids on Sigma Niobe II.
- TOS novel: The Covenant of the Crown – Kirk's time spent on the planet Shad among King Stevvin's court as a cultural observer during his early Starfleet career is referenced.
- TOS novel: The Latter Fire – Follows immediately after events in The Face of the Unknown, with the Enterprise rendezvousing with the USS Arcadia, Pavel Chekov departing for Starfleet Security School, and Lt. Arex Na Eth joining the crew.
- TOS novel: Troublesome Minds – Set approximately one year after the events of this novel (in late 2270), with Ensign Lou Prescott now promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.