|The Lives of Dax|
|Series:||Deep Space Nine|
|Published:||trade paperback - December 1999|
|Reprint(s):||paperback - December 2002|
|ISBN:||ISBN 0671028405, ISBN 0743456823|
An anthology of short stories focusing on the nine hosts of the Dax symbiont.
- Three hundred fifty-seven years.
- Nine lives.
- One soul.
- Mother, father, engineer, ambassador, scientist, statesman, serial killer, Starfleet officer: At one time, Dax has been all of those things and more. The near-immortal part of a composite species known as the Trill, Dax is a sentient, worm-like symbiont joined body and mind to a succession of humanoid hosts, carrying the memories of each lifetime into the next. Each incarnation is different. Each has its own personality, its own triumphs, its own tragedies, its own dreams. And each one is… Dax.
- Introduction by Marco Palmieri
- Ezri: "Second Star to the Right...", by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
- Lela: "First Steps", by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Tobin: "Dead Man's Hand", by Jeffrey Lang
- Emony: "Old Souls", by Michael Jan Friedman
- Audrid: "Sins of the Mother", by S.D. Perry
- Torias: "Infinity", by Susan Wright
- Joran: "Allegro Ouroboros in D Minor", by S.D. Perry and Robert Simpson
- Curzon: "The Music Between the Notes" by Steven Barnes
- Jadzia: "Reflections", by L.A. Graf
- Ezri: "... And Straight on 'til Morning", by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens
- Marco Palmieri commented "How could I ignore the storytelling possibilities implicit in the Dax character? The potential not only to flesh out its past lives, but to explore the ways in which they've always played a part in the Star Trek universe? (Star Trek: Communicator, issue #126, p. 60)
- The Lives of Dax was originally published under the Star Trek logo. The reprint featured the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine "relaunch" logo.