|The Mark of Gideon|
|Series:||The Original Series|
|Written by:||George F. Slavin and Stanley Adams|
|Directed by:||Jud Taylor|
|Novelization in:||Star Trek 6 by James Blish|
|First aired:||17 January 1969|
"The Mark of Gideon" was the 72nd episode of Star Trek: The Original Series, the 17th episode of the show's third and final season, first aired on 17 January 1969. The episode was written by George F. Slavin and Stanley Adams, directed by Jud Taylor and novelized in Star Trek 6 by James Blish.
- Captain's log, stardate 5423.4.
- We are orbiting the planet Gideon, which is still not a member of the United Federation of Planets. The treaty negotiations have been difficult because Gideon has consistently refused the presence of a delegation from the Federation on its soil, or any surveillance by the ship's sensors. They have finally agreed to a delegation of one. They insisted it be the captain of the Enterprise. I am, therefore, beaming down at once.
- Log entry by James T. Kirk.
- I am alone on the Enterprise. I have searched every area of the ship and still cannot find a trace of the crew, or an indication of how its disappearance was managed. The one thing that is obvious is that I suffered a memory lapse, during which time I bruised my arm. It is causing me some irritation.
- Ship's log, stardate 5423.8.
- First Officer Spock reporting. Obviously the Gideons have transported Captain Kirk onto this replica of the Enterprise to so confuse his mind as to make him susceptible to some extraordinary experiment. It is my intention to locate the captain and warn him before the experiment reaches its conclusion, which logic indicates means the end of the captain's life as he knows it.
- Clifford Brent • Pavel Chekov • Fitzgerald (Admiral) • Hodin • James T. Kirk • Krodak • Leonard McCoy • Odana • Montgomery Scott • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura • unnamed Gideons • unnamed USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) personnel
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- replica of USS Enterprise (bridge • corridor • engineering • observation deck • quarters, captain's • sickbay • transporter room) • Gideon Council Chamber
Races and culturesEdit
Technology and weaponsEdit
- autoclave • cauterizer • communicator • intercom • medical kit • medical tricorder • sensors • starship • viewscreen • transporter • tricorder • viewing port
Materials and substancesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Ranks and titlesEdit
- admiral • assistant • bureaucrat • captain • chief engineer • chief medical officer • commander • commanding officer • communications officer • councillor • diplomat • doctor • engineer • Excellency • Federation Starfleet ranks • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • first officer • lieutenant • lieutenant commander • helmsman • medical practitioner • navigator • officer • prime minister • repairman • representative • scientist • science officer • second officer • weapons officer • tactical officer
- anatomy • arm • auditorium • bacteria • beaming • birthrate • Bones • book • boot • bruise • bull • captain's log • captain's log, USS Enterprise, 2268 • capital city • chess • city • clothing • coordinates • diplomacy • disease • dress • Federation members • fetus • fever • finger • five-year mission • germ • Gideon Council Chambers • government • homeworld • hood (clothing) • hour • humanoid • jumpsuit • language • life span • lifeform • log entry • logic • matter • memory • microbe • microorganism • nation-state • orbit • pants • paradise • petticoat • planet • physio-cultural report • poker • population • quadrant • races and cultures • rank • red priority • regulation • sandwich • ship's log • ship's log, USS Enterprise • space • star • star system • stardate • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2260s) • sterile • synchronous orbit • suicide • technology • title • treaty • tunic • uniform • universe • Vegan choriomeningitis • virus • Vulcan neck pinch • weapon
- years prior to 2268
- Kirk contracts Vegan choriomeningitis. (prior to episode/novelization)
- stardate 5423.4, 2268 (2260s chronology, 2264–2270 Enterprise voyages)
- Enterprise travels to Gideon.
- Kirk recalls the Gideon trick. (TOS novel: The Rings of Time)
- ST reference: The Worlds of the Federation
- ST references: Maps, Star Charts, FASA RPG module: The Federation
- TOS novel: The Rings of Time
- Kirk recalls the Gideon trick.
- Actor Stanley Adams co-wrote this episode after playing the part of Cyrano Jones in the second season TOS episode: "The Trouble With Tribbles".
- The novelization by James Blish contains a scene where "Odona" (using the alternate spelling) accidentally burns off her finger with a medical instrument, and quickly re-grows the digit. This aspect of Gideonite physiology was not shown in the episode, although it was alluded that they did have a great resistance to injury. The prose version also added a scene where the crew proposes Odana will offer a symbol of illness to those she infects. The characters of Krodak and Fitzgerald were not named in the novelization.
- Actor Gene Dynarski (Krodak) had previously played Ben Childress and would later play Orfil Quinteros. Richard Derr (Fitzgerald) previously played Commodore Barstow.
- This episode marks the only time the bridge set was filmed empty, in this case representing the replica Enterprise. TOS episode: "This Side of Paradise" had previously showed the actual Enterprise bridge devoid of personnel, but with a single Omicron Ceti spore plant present.
Whom Gods Destroy
|TOS episode produced||Next episode:|
The Lights of Zetar
Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
|TOS episode aired||Next episode:|
That Which Survives
The Cloud Minders
|Star Trek 6||Next story:|
until Star Trek 7
The Shoulders of Giants
The Lights of Zetar
Whom Gods Destroy
|Voyages of the |
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
(2264 to 2270)
The Lights of Zetar