|Series:||The Next Generation|
|Written by:||Keith Mills|
|Directed by:||Cliff Bole|
|First aired:||27 March 1989|
"The Royale" was the 38th episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the 12th episode of the show's second season, first aired on 27 March 1989. The episode was written by Keith Mills and directed by Cliff Bole.
- Captain's log, stardate 42625.4.
- We are entering orbit around the eighth planet of the previously unmapped Theta 116 solar system. We diverted from our scheduled course when a passing Klingon cruiser reported discovering pieces of a strange vessel in the upper atmosphere of this planet. We've come to investigate.
- Captain's log, supplemental.
- We remain in orbit around Theta VIII still out of contact with the away team.
|This article or section is incomplete|
|This article is marked as lacking essential detail, and needs attention. Information regarding expansion requirements may be found on the article's talk page. Feel free to edit this page to assist with this expansion.|
- Wesley Crusher • Data • Geordi La Forge • Mickey D • Miles O'Brien • Jean-Luc Picard • Katherine Pulaski • William T. Riker • Texas • Deanna Troi • Vanessa • Worf, son of Mogh • Ziggy • unnamed illusory Humans (illusory Humans) • unnamed USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) personnel (USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) personnel)
- Referenced only
- Ali Baba • Cernan • Evans • Pierre de Fermat • Todd Matthews • Stephen G. Richey • Rita • Schmitt
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Referenced only
- Earth locations (Sol star system, the galaxy's Alpha Quadrant): Decatur • Nevada (Las Vegas) • Tennessee • Texas (Lubbock)
- USS Enterprise-D
- Theta VIII
- The Hotel Royale
Races and culturesEdit
Technology and weaponsEdit
- communicator • intercom • combadge • tricorder • sensors • starship • viewscreen • transporter • phaser • revolver • slot machine • telephone
Materials and substancesEdit
- atmosphere • blood • gas • oxygen • ethane • keimium • tormium • yurium • ammonia • carbon • hydrogen-carbon helix • hydrogen • methane • neon • nitrogen • DNA
States and organizationsEdit
- Referenced only
- Klingon Empire • Klingon Defense Force • United States Air Force • United States of America
Ranks and titlesEdit
- captain • chief engineer • chief medical officer • colonel • commander • commanding officer • counselor • doctor • engineer • Federation Starfleet ranks • Federation Starfleet ranks (2350s-2360s) • first officer • lieutenant • lieutenant commander • lieutenant junior grade • medical practitioner • operations manager • flight controller • assistant manager • officer • scientist • second officer • security chief • weapons officer • tactical officer • concierge • croupier
- anatomy • beaming • boot • captain's log • captain's log, USS Enterprise-D • clothing • coordinates • government • hour • humanoid • jumpsuit • language • lifeform • log entry • matter • nation-state • orbit • pants • planet • blackjack • quadrant • races and cultures • rank • space • star • star system • stardate • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2350s-2366) • technology • title • uniform • universe • weapon • class K transjovian planet • Kei/Yuri factor • American flag • Cadillac • casino • casino chip • Celsius • cryogenics • cowboy hat • craps • dealer • diary • dice • Fermat's last theorem • gambling • Hotel Royale • hurricane • kilometer • lobby • math • meters per second • murder • novel • number one • parking • poker • tornado • turkey • United States dollar
- 7.2 billion years ago
- Theta VIII forms. (prior to episode)
- Cadillac makes a model of car that will be described in the literature of Todd Matthews, as the conveyance of Texas, a character in the novel Hotel Royale. (prior to episode)
- The American flag is altered to bear 52 stars. (prior to episode)
- 23 July 2037
- NASA launches the ESS Charybdis, the third Human attempt to travel beyond the Sol system. (TNG reference: The Continuing Mission, prior to episode)
- NASA's Charybdis goes off course and loses contact with Earth. (prior to episode)
- Dragged off course by an alien intelligence, Charybdis reaches Theta 116 star system. An artificial environment for Colonel Stephen G. Richey, who piloted the starship, is created, based on the book Hotel Royale, after the alien accidentally decimates the Charybdis crew. The vessel breaks up under the aliens influence in orbit of planet Theta VIII. (prior to episode)
- The American flag is altered to no longer bear 52 stars. (prior to episode)
- Colonel Richey dies. (prior to episode)
- A Klingon cruiser passes the Theta 116 star system and performs a sensor sweep. The Klingons detect spacecraft debris in orbit, and notify the Federation of the discovery, moving on in their course without further investigation. (prior to episode)
- stardate 42625.4, 2365 (2360s chronology, Enterprise-D voyages)
- Enterprise travels to Theta 116.
- CCG set: Q-Continuum, card: "Royale Casino: Craps"
- CCG set: Alternate Universe, card: "Royale Casino: Blackjack"
- CCG set: Mirror, Mirror, card: "Royale Casino: Slots"
- TNG reference: The Continuing Mission
- Star Trek Magazine #162: "Blast Off!"
- This story originated from a season one story pitch by writer Tracy Tormé. After the 1988 writers' strike, several older scripts were used for the second season. After extensive re-writes by the staff, Tormé declined to be credited, using the pseudonym "Keith Mills". Tormé was credited as "creative consultant" instead.
- A piece of artwork created for computer viewscreens went unused in the episode, a biography of Col. Richey's mission, and was later reprinted in TNG reference: The Continuing Mission. Another later diagram of the Charybdis found print in Star Trek Magazine #162: "Blast Off!".
|TNG episode produced||Next episode:|
|TNG episode aired||Next episode:|