|The Truth about Tribbles, Part 1|
|Series:||The Original Series (IDW ongoing), No. 11|
|Story by:||Gene Roddenberry, David Gerrold|
|Creative Consultant:||Roberto Orci|
|Date:||2259 (alternate reality)|
"The Truth About Tribbles, Part 1" was the eleventh issue of IDW Publishing's ongoing series of Star Trek comics. The issue consisted of the first part of The Truth About Tribbles, a loose alternate reality adaptation of TOS episode: "The Trouble with Tribbles", as adapted from the original by writer Mike Johnson. Issue art was by Claudia Balboni, with colors and lettering by Ilaria Traversi and Neil Uyetake, respectively. This series premiere was edited by Scott Dunbier, with Roberto Orci credited as creative consultant.
On Delta Vega, Spock Prime notices that Montgomery Scott has a pet tribble that he intends to send to his nephew, Chris, at Starfleet Academy. He says that it is an ideal pet. Spock Prime is worried. Kirk, Scott, Keenser, and Spock Prime head for the shuttlecraft.
One year later, Scott and Chekov are performing an unauthorized experiment in transwarp beaming using the tribble. With summer vacation going on, only Scott's nephew, Chris, is at the Academy. They beam the tribble through subspace relays to Chris. Just then, Captain Kirk sounds a red alert. Chekov thinks Kirk has found out about their experiment, but he is wrong.
An exploratory mission to the Iota Germinorum system has resulted in an encounter with a Klingon Bird-of-Prey far from the border of their empire.
As the Klingons are enemies of the Federation, this encounter would lead to war, but that is not why they are here. The Klingons leave. Spock suggests going to Iota Geminorum IV, which is habitable. He detects something mysterious. Kirk orders Sulu to proceed to the planet at full impulse.
On Iota Geminorum IV, Kirk, Spock, Scott, and Chekov discover tribbles, which replicate right in front of them. They spot a bomb surrounded by tribbles. The landing party realizes that the tribbles could pose a threat to Earth. Just then, a predator that feeds on tribbles attacks Kirk and is killed. More predators arrive and are killed. Chekov gets worried that the tribble they beamed to Starfleet Academy could be trouble. Scott is sure his nephew will call if there is any problem. Little do they know that San Francisco has been overrun by tribbles.
- James T. Kirk • Spock • Montgomery Scott • Pavel Chekov • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura • Spock Prime • Chris Scott • Keenser
- Referenced only
Starships and vehiclesEdit
Stars and systemsEdit
Races and CulturesEdit
- Referenced only
States and OrganizationsEdit
Technology and weaponsEdit
- bomb • communicator • phaser • starship • subspace relay • tricorder • transporter • transwarp beaming
Ranks and titlesEdit
- This story takes place eight years before its prime timeline equivalent (TOS episode: "The Trouble with Tribbles", set in 2267).
- Iota Geminorum IV is mistakenly called Iota Germinorum IV throughout the comic book.
- Kirk's word balloon comes from Spock in the bottom panel on page 17.
- TOS episode: "The Trouble with Tribbles" - This is the first part of a loose adaptation of the eponymous episode.
- TOS movie: Star Trek Into Darkness - The tribble featured in this story as the main antagonist appears in the film. Also, the stardate of most of the film is before the stardate in this show.
#10: The Return of the Archons, Part 2
|The Original Series (IDW series)||Next Comic:|
#12: The Truth About Tribbles, Part 2