|Series:||The Original Series, No. 70|
|Published:||paperback - June 1994|
- It began with The Lost Years, the long-awaited story of what happened to Captain Kirk and the legendary crew of the USS Enterprise when their original five-year mission ended. Now, it is more than a year later, and Kirk and his crew have settled into their new, separate assignments.
- But when Sulu and Chekov find themselves framed for murder and treason, the two officers are forced to go into hiding. As Admiral Kirk and Uhura frantically search for evidence to prove Sulu and Chekov innocent, they uncover a plot that threatens the very foundations of Starfleet.
- The web of conspiracy is woven tighter as the real culprits and Federation agents close in on the fugitives. Unsure of whom to trust and with time running out, the former USS Enterprise shipmates must once again rely on each other to find the truth and prevent the Federation from facing utter destruction.
|This article or section is incomplete|
|This article is marked as lacking essential detail, and needs attention. Information regarding expansion requirements may be found on the article's talk page. Feel free to edit this page to assist with this expansion.|
- Peter Broad • Pavel Chekov • Keith deCandido • Jackson Kahle • Kang, son of K'naiah • James T. Kirk • John Kyle • Jabilo M'Benga • Leonard McCoy • Gloria Oberste • Mark Piper • Janice Rand • Hikaru Sulu • Nyota Uhura
- Referenced only
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- USS DeGama (courier) • USS Enterprise (Constitution-class heavy cruiser) • IKS Kozain • WKI-2 (Wraith II-class shuttle) • Serengeti
Planets and planetoidsEdit
- Referenced only
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Substances and energiesEdit
Foods and beveragesEdit
- artichoke • asparagus • Brie • coffee • coleslaw • espresso • gazpacho • ketchup • haggis • hot chocolate • ladyfinger • mascarpone cheese • rum • salad • tea • tiramisù • tortellini
Technology and weaponsEdit
- buoy • chronometer • communicator • disruptor • food synthesizer • hypospray • Klingon disruptor • phaser • phaser pistol • security buoy • shuttlecraft • sonic disruptor • starship • viewscreen • wrist communicator
Ranks and titlesEdit
- admiral • cadet • captain • chief engineer • chief medical officer • commander • commanding officer • commodore • communications officer • doctor • ensign • first officer • helmsman • lieutenant • lieutenant commander • navigator • officer • rear admiral • security • security chief
- clothing • coordinates • corporation • day • December • drink • energy • Federation Starfleet ranks • Federation Starfleet ranks (2260s) • food • galaxy • government • hour • humanoid • January • lifeform • matter • minute • month • nation-state • Orion language • planet • rank • space • star • star system • Starfleet uniform • Starfleet uniform (2265-2270) • technology • title • uniform • universe • USS • weapon • year
This is the third in the "Lost Years" series of novels, which recount the events between the end of the original five-year mission and TOS movie: Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It was preceded in the series by TOS novel: A Flag Full of Stars, although it apparently takes place before that novel.
On seeming discontinuity is the wear of uniforms in the book. The Lost Years mentioned personnel at Starfleet Headquarters and Starfleet Operations wearing the newer 2270s uniform, which previously premiered as a uniform that was being transitioned into use on Starbase 10 while the previous 2260s uniform was still in use (in TOS - Annual comic: "The Final Voyage"). Traitor Winds describes the 2260s uniforms for personnel at Starfleet Headquarters, Starfleet Operations and Starfleet Security School, as well as Drydock personnel. The Star-Crossed storyline of DC Comics showed the older TOS uniforms continue after Kirk was promoted to rear admiral, one star, but another source that shows the opposite has the new The Motion Picture uniforms worn on board ship, before the Enterprise left service in The Lost Years.
The descriptions of uniforms in the book agree with the earlier TOS uniforms, but the illustrations on the cover depict the characters in TMP uniforms.
|The Lost Years novels|
|The Lost Years • A Flag Full of Stars • Traitor Winds • Recovery|
The Patrian Transgression
|TOS numbered novels||Next novel:|
The Lost Years
Shadows of the Indignant