Cover by Cliff Nielson
|Series:||The Original Series (Pocket TOS)|
|Published:||Paperback - June 2009|
- From the back cover
- First contact becomes an interstellar incident when the Starship Enterprise™ responds to a distress call from an unknown ship and saves the life of a man left to die by his own people. Berlis, member of a telepathic species calling themselves the Isitri, claims not to know why those from his homeworld want him dead. Captain James T. Kirk wants to believe him, but the damage is done: the Enterprise can neither leave the stranger to die nor turn him over to those who would kill him.
- Berlis seems harmless, but his people say he cannot live among them: his telepathy is so strong that their wills are subsumed to his. The same fear that compels the Isitri to seek the death of one of their own drives the neighboring Odib people toward genocide. For every time a "troublesome mind" dominates the Isitri, the Odib pay the price in their own blood.
- With Spock becoming erratic under Berlis's influence, and the Isitri begging Kirk to allow them to destroy the man who threatens their existence, matters take a disastrous turn when Berlis makes his way back to Isitra...and an entire world falls to his whims.
|This article or section is incomplete|
|This article is marked as lacking essential detail, and needs attention. Information regarding expansion requirements may be found on the article's talk page. Feel free to edit this page to assist with this expansion.|
- Berlis Aknista • Bannatyan • Bithnush • Christine Chapel • Pavel Chekov • Chista • Cordell • Das-Dosiame • DeSalle • Epiltan • Golo • Gralow • Kenachin • James T. Kirk • John Kyle • Leonard McCoy • Meshu • Kevin Michaluk • Elizabeth Palmer • Prescott • Sa-Gahnesaam • Montgomery Scott • Sektu • Sentell • Sheh-Keshemger • Sketel • Spock • Hikaru Sulu • Totrostav • Nyota Uhura
Starships and vehiclesEdit
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
- astronomical unit • disruptor cannon • Feinberg scanner • Impressionism • Jefferies tube • laser probe • mind meld • mind-ripper • nentizene • phaser • photon torpedo • plasma coolant • shield • telepathy • tractor beam • transporter • tricorder • "troublesome mind" • universal translator • World War II
Sacrifices of War
|TOS novels||Next comic:|
The Sorrows of Empire
Shadows of the Indignant
Most recent Star Trek work
To be placed
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next adventure:|
To be placed