- This ship was seen in-game with the given name and registry number clearly written on her hull.
This ship was also used in the elite Klingon Command Academy bridge crew training simulations for the Class of 2290. As such, she was encountered in the Beta Ceti star system tending a section of the Federation's sensor probe net monitoring the Klingon border. (TOS video game: Klingon Academy)
- Likely named after Sir Frederick Grant Banting, a Canadian medical scientist, doctor and Nobel laureate noted as one of the co-discoverers of insulin.
In the console version, the ship is shown participating in the following missions:
- Remove a radioactive object approaching Beta II mining colony, and detonating it at a safe distance.
- Locate the lost starship USS Kitty Hawk.
- Rescue freighter Moray from Venturi renegades
- Study the Hanab Protostar and establish first contact with the Hycombia Confederation
- Sabotage Venturi navigation beacons in the Ingama Nebula