- For other uses, see Constitution.
The USS Constitution (NCC-1700) was a Federation Constitution-class heavy cruiser in service to Starfleet in the 23rd century. When she was commissioned in 2245, Constitution was the prototype for a new class of heavy cruisers. Constitution had an illustrious service career. (Decipher RPG modules: Narrator's Guide, Starships)
Construction began on the USS Constitution at the San Francisco Fleet Yards in November 2239, under the direction of Admiral William Jefferies. In 2242, while the Constitution was under construction, work began on the second vessel of the class, the unnamed NX-0002, which would later be destined to become the famous USS Enterprise. Because of the fast pace of technological development, the Constitution was significantly less advanced than the later vessel, which would eventually be assigned later naval construction contract 1701. (TOS novel: Final Frontier)
Construction was completed in 2244, and she began a series of shakedown cruises. The first voyage was a round trip between Earth and the planetoid Babel, with a passenger list that included Starfleet cadets, flag officers, and members of the Federation Diplomatic Corps. (TOS - Who's Who in Star Trek comic: "Who's Who in Star Trek, Issue 2")
Despite remaining on shakedown-status, the Constitution prototype was instrumental in stopping the attempted theft of the NX-0002 vessel when Klingon agents boarded the unnamed construction project during a cadet cruise. (TOS - Crew comic: "Shakedown")
A few weeks later, the Constitution was rushed to aid the USS Endeavour and the USS Yorkshire, who were engaged in battle against Klingon vessels near Donatu V. The Constitution's enhanced warp drive and shields proved vital in the battle despite possessing inactive weapons systems, and forced the Klingons back, creating a stalemate. As a result, the Klingons were able to be repulsed long enough for the Constitution to return the Endeavour and Yorkshire survivors to Earth. (TOS - Errand of Vengeance novels: Killing Blow, River of Blood; TOS - Errand of Fury novel: Seeds of Rage)
In 2245, Starfleet assigned Fleet Captain Garth of Izar to the Constitution as her commanding officer. Under his command, the Constitution participated in the Axanar Rebellion. She performed the role of flagship during this time of crisis.
During the Four Years War, the Constitution and a pair of unnamed Larson-class destroyers were involved in the Battle of Lea; ambushed by a squad of D4Es from the 127th cruiser squadron in a vicious swarming attack. The Constitution was raked amidships, suffering severe damage, and one of the Larsons exploded. The Klingons then moved on in search of more targets. The captain of the Constitution instituted a Cochrane Deceleration maneuver, saving the squadron. (FASA RPG module: The Four Years War)
By 2257, Captain Augenthaler had assumed command of the Constitution. Later that year, Lieutenant James T. Kirk was assigned to the Constitution shortly following the disaster aboard the USS Farragut. Shortly after, on a mission to Sordinia IV, Kirk was forced to assume command when Captain Augenthaler and the first officer were stranded on the planet following an attack by N'shaii satellites. Still fighting with grief, Kirk managed to overcome this, and rallied the Constitution's crew to overcome the N'shaii threat. A few months later, Dr. Leonard McCoy came aboard the Constitution as assistant CMO. (TOS - My Brother's Keeper novels: Constitution, Enterprise)
In mid-2267, the Constitution, along with the USS Enterprise, USS Lexington, eight other unnamed Constitution-class starships, two Miranda-class starships, a few Icarus-class starships, and numerous cargo, fuel, and support vessels proceeded to Organia to intercept the Klingon fleet positioned there. The conflict was ultimately defused by the Organians themselves without further loss of life on either side. (TOS episode: "Errand of Mercy"; TOS - Errand of Fury novel: Sacrifices of War; TOS - Klingons: Blood Will Tell comic: "Against Their Nature")
- The TOS novel: Cloak establishes that Captain Phil Waterston was commanding officer of the Constitution, as of late 2268. It is uncertain when he took command, or when Wesley left Constitution for the USS Lexington, which he commanded in TOS episode: "The Ultimate Computer".
- While the ship was recorded as lost, both The Wounded Sky and the Starfleet Command games list this ship as active in the two decades following. It is possible the vessel was recovered, although no such explanation exists in currently-published sources.
2270s–2280sEditDuring an attempted Romulan invasion of the Federation around 2270, the Constitution (under the command of Captain Dhruva) led a Starfleet task force of three other starships of its own class in rescuing the disabled USS Yorktown from a combined Klingon/Romulan assault fleet. In the midst of the battle, the intervention of the Organians served to extend the imposition of the recent peace treaty onto the Romulan Star Empire, followed by the dissolution of the Klingon-Romulan Alliance. (TOS comic: "Romulans: Schism")
- Commanding officer:
- First Officer: Commander Akira Hirota (2257)
- Second officer: Lieutenant James T. Kirk (2257-2258)
- Helmsman: Lieutenant James T. Kirk (2257-2258)
- Junior helmsman: Lieutenant Medina (2257)
- Navigator: Lieutenant Gary Mitchell (from 2255)
- Communications officer: Lieutenant Borrik (2257)
- Science officer: Lieutenant Darick Lynch (2257)
- Science officer: Lieutenant Polcovich (2257)
- Tactical officer: Lieutenant Masefield (2257)
- Security chief: Lieutenant Jack Gaynor (2257)
- Security chief: Commander Robert Likins (2269)
- Security officer: Chafin (2257)
- Security officer: Park (2257)
- Security officer: Reboulet (2257)
- Security officer: Ensign Wooten (2257)
- Security officer: Zuleta (2257)
- Chief medical officer: Doctor Christina Velasquez (2257)
- Assistant chief medical officer: Doctor Leonard McCoy (2257-2260)
- Chief engineer: Lieutenant Anita Jankowski (2257)
- Engineer: Livingstone (2257)
- Transporter chief: Rawitzer (2257)
|Ships named Constitution|
|Federation Starfleet||USS Constitution (22nd century) • USS Constitution (2220s-2230s) • USS Constitution (NCC-1700 prototype) • USS Constitution (Excelsior-class, NCC-2025) • USS Constitution (Galaxy-class) • see also: Constitution-class|
|Terran Empire||ISS Constitution (Constitution-class prototype)|
Appearances and ReferencesEdit
- TOS - Errand of Vengeance novels: Killing Blow, River of Blood
- TOS - Errand of Fury novel: Seeds of Rage
- TOS - My Brother's Keeper novels: Constitution, Enterprise
- TOS novels: The Wounded Sky, The Ashes of Eden
- TOS - Section 31 novel: Cloak
- TOS episode: "Court Martial"
- TNG episode: "Datalore"
- ST video game: Starship Creator: Warp
- Last Unicorn RPG module: The Andorians: Among the Clans