Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
- For other uses, see Discovery.
- For the mirror universe counterpart, see ISS Discovery (NCC-1031).
- "This ship has quickly become the most important weapon in the Federation's arsenal in our war against the Klingons. And because of her, the tide has turned. Because of us, we are winning."
- —Michael Burnham, personal log, 2256[src]
Service history and dispositionEdit
After war broke out between the Federation and the Klingon Empire in May of 2256, the Discovery and her more advanced sister ship the USS Glenn were tasked by Starfleet with a top secret mission to develop a new kind of faster-than-light drive utilizing spores from the fungus Prototaxites stellaviatori.
In November of the same year, the Discovery took aboard former Starfleet officer Michael Burnham. Captain Lorca wished to convince her to join Lieutenant Paul Stamets' team in developing the new spore drive, and after joining the boarding party to the disabled USS Glenn, Burnham decided to stay. (DSC episode: "Context Is For Kings")
With the help of the captured creature named Ripper and the tech salvaged from the USS Glenn, the Discovery was able to make a significant jump to Corvan II and saved the mining colony from a Klingon attack. (DSC episode: "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry")
- Warning: The following content contains spoilers!