- For other uses, see Okinawa.
The USS Okinawa (NCC-13958) was an Excelsior-class explorer in service in the 24th century. For fourteen years, starting in 2350, James Leyton was captain of this ship. Benjamin Sisko was the ship's Chief Engineer in 2360. The ship served with distinction in the Tzenkethi War. Okinawa had an illustrious service career. (DS9 episodes: "Homefront", "Paradise Lost"; DS9 novel: Hollow Men; ST video game: Legacy; Decipher RPG module: Starfleet Operations Manual)
In 2360, just after the ship had undergone a refit, Captain Leyton brought the Okinawa, with Curzon Dax aboard, to Renaga, where they rescued Sisko, Tuvok, Selar, and Zetha. (TLE novel: Catalyst of Sorrows)
Soon after, Benjamin Sisko switched to the command division and was promoted to Lieutenant Commander. He served as Leyton's first officer when the Okinawa fought on the front lines during the Tzenkethi War. (DS9 episodes: "Homefront", "Paradise Lost")
- Captain James Leyton
- Lieutenant Commander Benjamin Sisko
- Lieutenant Thiemann
- Lieutenant Snowden
- Ensign Lafleur
- T. Ishmael Snowden
- Senior petty officer Lintosian'a
- Master chief petty officer Kozel
- Crewman Butterfield
- The war service of the Okinawa and its crew was to be featured in a Star Trek: The Lost Era novel. This probably took place between 2360 and 2363.