Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hoshi Sato has spent five days trying to decipher the language of a transmission from a newly discovered civilization. She is frustrated because she has never taken so long to learn a language. At Archer's suggestion she attends Movie Night with Mayweather, but is unable to concentrate on the movie and leaves. The transmission from the planet stops, but Enterprise has the short message recorded. Archer gives Sato another twenty-four hours before Enterprise moves on. The next morning, still making no progress, Hoshi discusses the problem with Reed, Tucker and Phlox in the mess hall. The Universal Translator is not helping because the message does not conform to the assumptions about language built into it. As Sato leaves the mess hall she meets Mayweather, who insists that she join him at the sweet spot. Mayweather reminisces about a town on Vega Colony: "Once you're in the city limits, you're not on the road anymore, you're considered a part of the town..." Sato realizes that the word "Not" is the key to the message, and programs new algorithms into the Universal Translator. She translates the message, which begins: "You are not in space. You are in the home of the Shisali, as surely as if your feet touched our soil."
- Jonathan Archer • Elizabeth Cutler • Dickison • Travis Mayweather • Phlox • Malcolm Reed • Hoshi Sato • T'Pol • Trip Tucker
- Referenced only
Starships and vehiclesEdit
- Unnamed planet
- Referenced only
- Earth (Brazil • Chicago • England • Florida • New York • Ohio) • Risa • Vega colony • Vulcan
Races and culturesEdit
States and organizationsEdit
Science and technologyEdit
- artificial gravity • comm panel • communications console • computer • console • console screen • linguistic database • padd • phonetic processor • sensor • spacecraft • starship • turbolift • universal translator • viewscreen
Ranks and titlesEdit
- algorithm • alien • alphabet • Arabic alphabet • battle • breakfast • bridge • century • Chinese language • city • civilization • comedy • communications • Cyrillic alphabet • dance • day • Denobulan language • English language • exolinguistics • Ferris Bueller's Day Off • first contact • food • fork • Geissler variation • generative grammar • German language • grammatical typology • hailing frequency • Hindi alphabet • hour • Japanese language • language • language tree • Latin alphabet • linguist • linguistic algorithm • linguistics • mess hall • moon • movie • Movie Night • parade • phonetic symbol • phrase structure theory • planet • playing card • poker • popular culture • pronoun • quarters • Queen of Hearts • ready room • response token • Romulan language • Rosetta Stone • Russian language • sandwich • scan • science report • semantics • Shisali language • slang • song • species • student • sweet spot • syntax • taxonomy • teacher • telepathy • Terran language • textbook • town • transformational model • translation • translation matrix • transmission • Tuesday • university • urban center • Vulcan language • Vulcan writing • week
|Strange New Worlds 10||Next story:|
First Star Trek story
Most recent work
Yet to be placed
|Memory Beta Chronology||Next Adventure:|
Yet to be placed
- Although the movie Sato and Mayweather attend is not identified by name, the references to its plot make clear that it is Ferris Bueller's Day Off.